My toshiba computer is frozen again. I have tried the hard

Customer Question
reboot that worked in feb...
My toshiba computer is frozen again. I have tried the hard reboot that worked in feb and it doesn't seem to do the trick this time
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Computer
4/13/2016
Tech Support Specialist: Freddy M., Support Specialist replied 1 year ago
Freddy M.
Freddy M., Support Specialist
Hello my name is***** am very sorry to hear you are having this problem. Is it frozen on the Toshiba screen and never goes any further than that? If you leave it on at that screen does it turn itself off?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No it just always stays on that screen.
What model Toshiba is it? How old is it? If it is over a year old did you happen to get an extended warranty with it?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's a toshiba ultra book around 3 yrs old. No extended guarantee. Same problem happened in February and Robert from your company had me hard reboot it and it worked perfectly. This time can't get it to work. Intervention by you guys was February 11 if you want to look.
I actually did take a look at that thread before I replied to you. Restart the machine and repeatedly tap F8 as it is starting up. Do you ever get to a menu with the option that says safe mode?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No I have never gotten that menu option. And the F8 doesn't work
I was afraid you would say that. Unfortunately that would mean either the hard drive or the motherboard is failing and needs to be replaced. The only way to find out which of these it is for sure would be to either try another hard drive or to test the motherboards components with a volt meter. Most shops will charge about an hours labor to find out which it is for you. When this happens it normally starts to fail intermittently before failing completely. That is why the reset you did before worked but is not working now. From what you have told me it is more likely to be the hard drive as it tries to boot into windows. If you have any questions about this at all let me know and I would be happy to answer then. If not please do not forget to leave a positive rating for my help it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your Toshiba. I sincerely ***** ***** could have given you better news.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
So there is no hope? I need to buy another computer? And why would the motherboard fail after 3 yrs?
As I mentioned it is more likely to be the hard drive. But they can fail for a number of reasons a lot of them last around 2 years. You can fix it but you would need to replace a part for sure unfortunately. I would call a couple local shops as it will most likely be cheaper than a new computer. However if you do decide to go with a new one instead you may want to get an extended warranty with them. Hard drives are sensitive to movement so unless it has an SSD drive the moving parts inside can get damaged or warped just from being moved over time. Motherboards normally mostly fail from heat issues. If you have any questions about this at all let me know and I would be happy to answer then. If not please do not forget to leave a positive rating for my help it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your Toshiba. I sincerely ***** ***** could have given you better news.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
This is why I don't understand as this laptop stays at home and rarely travels. Do you think there is anything else I might do. Am desperate! And if I buy something new it will be a Mac!
If you happened to have another laptop hard drive I can walk you through replacing it so you can try that. You would need a windows install disc though to reinstall windows onto the new hard drive. As for a Mac I work on both types of machines. Both have problems. Though Macs are much better for graphics, video and music editing. PC's tend to be better for things like games and office applications. I sincerely ***** ***** could have given you better news as I know no one wants to hear they need a replacement part. If you mention to a shop you need to try and get it done cheaply some will have a used hard drive they can use to lower the price of the repair. Smaller shops are more likely to do this than the larger ones. If you have any questions about this at all let me know and I would be happy to answer then. If not please do not forget to leave a positive rating for my help it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your Toshiba. I sincerely ***** ***** could have given you better news.
Freddy M.
Freddy M.
Freddy M., Support Specialist