Quiksilver07070
Quiksilver07070, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Consultant within every computer and networking category. Troubleshoot and maintain various operating systems. Sales Engineering.
63493917

Zune how to start it?

Customer Question

zune how to start it?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Quiksilver07070 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for choosing JUSTANSWER.com.Are you referring to the Microsoft Music Player ZUNE?Just need to make sure we are on the same page
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes-129 I believe & I have nit used it i 2-3 years ,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I hit the 9 and not the "0" OOP"s ( as in Zune 120 in believe )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how log does it take for an answer ? Oh I meant to tell you,0 I did charge it several times and all it does is " the word "ZUNE" and the "ICON" on the screen' That is all.
Oh....im looking through all my notations from the Zune class i took about 5 years ago...LOL.There isnt much you can do to a Zune that is unresponsive....especially one that has been sitting in a drawer for years..The battery could be complelty memory loss.moisture could have gotten in.....do you live in a HUMID area of the country?
Ohhh....so when you POWER it on the screen DOES come on, but you only get the "ZUNE" logo and the Icon on the screen?Have you tried to do a RESET?
To restart a non-touchscreen Zune set the hold switch to the unlocked position, press and hold the Back button while you press the top of the Zune Pad, and then release the buttons when your Zune begins to restart.
When you use the Zune regularly, it heats up enough internally to basically evaporate any condensate that MAY have collected.But after years of the device being powered OFF, and subject to a humid environment.....the metal can actually cause the water vapor to condense on cold nights, creating water DROPlets.
just a wee bit of FYI for you.When storing electronics for long periods of time.....FIRST...do a quick wrap of Saran wrap around the device as tight as you can get, THEN pop it in a ziploc for long term storage.
I know that FYI is a bit useless now for the Zune...but any future electronic devices you wish to store away.....this is what you should do.....and REMOVE THE BATTERY IF ITS POSSIBLE!
Did you perform the RESET function ???
Everythign i am reading and seeing online and in my class notes, are pointing to the Battery..Zunes will NOT boot if the Battery is bad, or wont hold a charge.
Does it make any CLICKING noises, when the Zune Logo is on the screen?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I never completed this page, because I got "BUMPED"and I tried to get back and all that did was make it "insane"
its not a problem.......do you hear any clicking sounds coming form the Zune?YOu will want to be in a fairly quiet room.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1.THANK YOU !!!
2.Please tell me how to "reset" it, please, please.
3. I agree it could be the battery. Should I attempt it my self ? Ihave never doe it my self ??
4. The non-touchscreen and the black button = 0.
5. Should I try to replace the battery,I never done it ?
6. There i "NO CLICKING" what so ever.
7. Regarding humidity, in So. Cal. it has been raining and at night it may get humid, in the early morning hours. Yet< you have to consider the " Santa Ana Winds' with humidly of < 20% ?
Thank You ever so much for trying to help and I will do some of what you recommended but I do not feel comfortable trying to "OPENING" the Zume.
Again thank you.
BilliBOO
,.
Alrighty Billi Boo.....this Zune right out the gate is what you would call a Legacy device, and the company that made it wont even support it anymore.....i mean they dont even make updates of bug fixes or anything. So....to revive such a device, might not be worth what you would have to put into it.ALSO considering that you MUST dismantle and EXPOSE the INNARDS of this device....YUP....just to replace the battery.......i wish it were just a couple of double A's.....that would be WAY TOO SIMPLE, and NOTHIGN about this device is Simple..Secondly, the reset procedure......is outlined above...not sure if you read it or not....looks like not....since you are still asking..so...here it is...the reset Precodure (dont over think it.....its just holding down 2 buttons).Heres how you do it:To restart a non-touchscreen Zuneset the hold switch to the unlocked position, Even if the switch is off, it can sometimes still be on. Flick the Hold Switch on and off until you feel you've worked it a bit.press and hold the Back button while you press the top of the Zune Pad (See image attached in the below link for EXACTLY where to press and hold)then release the buttons when your Zune begins to restart.But all this is for NOT, if the battery is NO GOOD.Its a good sign that you dont have the hardware error message, which indicates that your hard drive memory in the Zune device is still intact and functioning.I would almost bet ALOT of money, replaceing the battery, fixes the problem..Shoudl YOU do the replacement?Absolutely NOT!Take it in.....or sell it on Ebay.....but odds are....if you are not versed in this kind of repair......you can very easily damage somethign else while you have it open and exposed..All that make sesne?
Whoops i forgot to add the picture of 2 button press.Here it is:
As far as finding a local technician that will do the battery swap for you.....might be tricky.I know I can do it....but it would require you shipping both ways.And all anybody can guarantee is that they replaced the battery.Because these devices are Legacy (no longer supported) most technicians will make you sign a waiver, stating there is no guarantee. Just as I would.Working on OLD tech, sometimes the components need to be replaced, and due to the COST of said components (because they are legacy and supply is dwindling)......it doesnt make ANY sense to fix.The cost versus what you get, is too skewed..Unless and however, you have data on the Zune you just HAVE to keep.IN which case.....you have other options.....that do not involve keeping the Zune in working order....but DOES involve having the DATA from the ZUNE extracted to a flash drive or other hard drive.....or whatever media you choose and is large enough.