Sudipto, Hardware Engineer
Experience:  Certificate Course In Computer Maintenance
15197395

Toshiba portege starts, I log in and then nothing. Can you

Customer Question

Toshiba portege starts, I log in and then nothing. Can you help?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: sure - after logging in, it then goes to the Windows 7 blue screen (Welcome) and there's spinning but nothing. I've tried system restore several times, but that hasn't helped
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Tech Support Specialists generally expect a deposit of about $36 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Sudipto replied 1 year ago.

If you cannot login properly then, how did you tried the system restore ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
By tapping F8 and getting to the options list
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Login appears to be proper (btw) though icon spins after hitting enter
Expert:  Sudipto replied 1 year ago.

OK, try the same steps once more and this, time select safemode, and let me know what happens ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Safe mode ends up with same result (spinning icon after hitting enter - following login)
Expert:  Sudipto replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the information, can you tell me which option did you select to restore the PC ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Selected a couple different dates for system restore (tried a couple of times). Message ,each time, was that system restore was interrupted
Expert:  Sudipto replied 1 year ago.

Do you have selected "Repair Your Computer" option ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Btw I've removed the battery though that doesn't appear to make a difference
Expert:  Sudipto replied 1 year ago.

That will not help because this is a software problem. Do you have tried "Repair Your Computer" option ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Sudipto replied 1 year ago.

There is another option called "Last Known Good Configuration" , in that list, do you have tried it ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have tried multiple repair options including startup repair, system restore and Toshiba recovery wizard
Expert:  Sudipto replied 1 year ago.

Do you have also recovered the laptop to factory defaults ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is that part of system recovery? If not - then I've tried it (I've stayed away from system recovery options). In any event I'll double check
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
just checked. I tried that though trying again now
Expert:  Sudipto replied 1 year ago.

If you have important data on your laptop then, recovering will delete all the existing data on it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Right - and that's the case
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just tried last known configuration - with same result
Expert:  Sudipto replied 1 year ago.

Then, unfortunately, there is no way left except recovring the laptop, but if you want to save the data then, you have to buy a laptop hard disk enclosure. In which you can fit this laptop hard drive and then, connect it with any other PC and backup your data , after that you can recover the laptop to factory defaults . This is an only option left in your case.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I guess that's what I've known
Expert:  Sudipto replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately, there is no way left except recovering the laptop to factory defaults. But, as there is important data on the hard drive, I will recommend you to buy a laptop hard drive enclosure from any nearby computer shop then, install the laptop hard drive in it. You can then connect it with any other PC and take the backup of the data. After that, reinstall the hard drive in the laptop and recover the laptop.