Dustin, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  I speak PC fluently, so you dont have to! Worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

Cannot open attachments on email with ipad, JPEG attachments

Customer Question

Cannot open attachments on email with ipad
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Computer Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: JPEG attachments come up with cannot open attachment
JA: Is there anything else the Computer Technician should be aware of?
Customer: Will not open on my Mac Pro either
JA: Good tech support is often the difference between a quick fix and many sleepless nights. The Computer Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Our top Computer Technician is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Computer Technician in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Computer Technician until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you.

When you try to open the Jpeg attachments, are you using safari and viewing your email?

Are you using the ipad email client, or another email program?

Also, whats the exact error message you get when you try to open those attachments?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Message is....cannot open attachment ....using exchange to access my email provider
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do not use safari to open my mail
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Ok, so are you using the built in ipad emaiil client? Or are you using a different email app?

Also, were you able to open attachments from this same email account and same ipad email client recently? Or is this the first time you have tried to set it up and download / open attachments?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Use to be able to open but for about month now have not been able to. Yes using iPad email
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Question, if you tap and hold on the jpeg photo in your mail.

After tapping and holding for a few seconds, what options do you see listed?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No options come up
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

How exactly is the jpeg attachment appearing in the email.

Can you send a screenshot of how it appears, as this will help to determine what the issue is, whether with the way the attachment is being sent, or the way the ipad is processing it.

In the meantime, could you also try holding down the sleep /wake button and holding the home button for about 20 seconds, or until the ipad turns off then back on.

And then checking the jpeg attachment again.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Turned off and on nothing...won't take screen shot and after i tap on attachment it says cannot open attachment then the attachment square shows it as downloading but clock not moving. Partners iPad the same
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Are all these email attachments coming from the same email account, on the same server, for both you and your partner?

I doubt this will help but its worth a shot

1. Select the My Settings icon.
  2. From the Settings menu on the left, select Mail > Contacts > Calendars.
  3. On the right it will say Mail. Go to Load Remote Images and move the bar to the ON setting.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Was already on
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Can you receive jpegs from other email accounts, or other serviers?

For instance, can you view the jpeg im attaching to this email on your ipad

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No we have same server different email addresses.
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

The mail is coming from the same server though, and you mentioned it was an exchange server.

Were you able to open the jpeg I sent you on your ipad?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I opened JPEG2000 immediately
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

In that case, your server.. Exchange server. Or the email client thats being used to send you messages is at fault here.

When the messages are being sent. Are they using a specific email client?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
JPEG from different friends
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Maybe I misunderstood what you said earlier.

The messages arent being sent from your work exchange server. You are receiving them AT your work exchange server.

Did my jpeg also go to your work server?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This my home I purchase Internet from a cable company. I use the exchange setting in my iPad to put my home cable company in. Sorry you have little old lady here!
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

And my apologies that we havent made better progress as of yet. I assure you the questions I ask you all have a point, and were slowly figuring out what the issue is.

let me ask you this, your cable company, is that who your email address is with?

If so, whats the last half of your email address, the part that shows up after the @ sign?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Shaw.ca
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Lets try an easy solution.. Lets remove your shaw email account from the ipad, through settings email

And once removed, readd it as a pop account, following the steps on this page

https://community.shaw.ca/docs/DOC-1065#solution1

And make sure to scroll down and follow this section Configuration 2 - POP/SMTP Setup

Once setup via pop.. You should be able to open jpegs normally.. let me know if youre able to complete these steps, and if they work.

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a rating of excellent ( 5 stars ) selected and submitted below this answer or at the top right of the screen. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.