Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

Having problems with the transition with windows-10.

Customer Question

Having problems with the transition with windows-10. Regarding live e-mails, unable to find print function on the toolbar or under tools to print out certain mails. In addition my
Ancestry FTM 2006 and 2012 Software is no longer functioning in its ability to export files
to PDF or RTF formats. Software is still supported through 2016; so why isn't it functioning. Genealogy files are my prime reason for using the computer and without these functions it would be useless to me. These functions all available in old windows XP but not since.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Eric Ewing replied 1 year ago.

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I am an independent computer expert who's been paired with you through JustAnswer.com. It is my pleasure to assist you today.

I see that you've got a few issues you're dealing with in your transition to Windows 10. If it's alright, let's fix each one at a time until everything is working to your satisfaction.

Regarding printing in Windows 10: if you are using the built-in Mail app, the print option is hidden (but there!). While you're reading an email you'd like to print, click the More Options (...) icon in the upper-right corner of the screen, and then choose Print from the drop-down list. Did that resolve the first issue?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Eric,Using the live mail app on lower tool bar can find nothing in the upper corner of e-mail that provides more options.
Expert:  Eric Ewing replied 1 year ago.

Ah! Sorry, I had misunderstood. It sounds like this is the Live Mail app that was part of Windows Essentials, and came over when you upgraded.

Is this problem only happening for certain emails, or all of them?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is only the first one i've attempted as it contains Virus liscensing data the app used says windows live mail 2012,
Expert:  Eric Ewing replied 1 year ago.

Can you tell me, too: are you able to print from other applications? For instance, can you print out a web page successfully?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
None of them appear to have print function available.
Expert:  Eric Ewing replied 1 year ago.

Gotcha. The printing problem, then, appears to be system-wide.

Please click on START > SETTINGS > DEVICES. Do you have any printers listed under the Printers & scanners section in the window that appears?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
printed out scan from my HP 2000 Photosmart seems to be working OK
Expert:  Eric Ewing replied 1 year ago.

Great! Was that scanned and printed simultaneously, or did you print the scan from the computer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Eric, sorry for the delay machine upgraded some of the software. need tyo check scan function now!
Expert:  Eric Ewing replied 1 year ago.

No problem, I'm here with you till this is fixed! Let me know when you're ready.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay Scan function is working
Expert:  Eric Ewing replied 1 year ago.

Does your printer appear in the Printers & Scanners section if you go to START > SETTINGS > DEVICES?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Eric, Got disconnected but Printer scanner does appear in devices portion
Expert:  Eric Ewing replied 1 year ago.

Let's try this: inside that same window, click on your printer name (to select it), and then click the button for Remove device. Then, power your printer off and back on; this will cause Windows to re-detect and reinstall your printer. Once the printer has been reinstalled, try to print again and please let me know what happens.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will give it a try
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
tried to remove it 3 times and removal failed all 3
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will try once more.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Eric finally got it to reinstall but HP driving me crazy with re-registrating procedures finally cut them off.
Expert:  Eric Ewing replied 1 year ago.

Sorry to disappear on you, there! My technician console crashed, and I had to re-load.

I do see your message about getting the printer reinstalled; is it showing back up again under the Devices & Scanners?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it's listed with the removal bar activated again
Expert:  Eric Ewing replied 1 year ago.

Are you able to print now from Live Mail?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The device listing won't let me get out of removal tab to use the default tab.
Expert:  Eric Ewing replied 1 year ago.

Let's try to force your computer to restart. If you can, click START > POWER, and then choose Restart. If that fails, hold in the power button on your PC for 15+ seconds, until the computer powers completely off; then, turn it back on. When it reboots, try again to print.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will try
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Eric back on but still nothing visible to allow me to print mail
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Eric,
Are we still connected?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is apparently going nowhere will disconnect
Expert:  Eric Ewing replied 1 year ago.

I'm still with you! Your messages all just came through to me. Is there a time later on today we can reconnect?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Eric,Sorry thought you had been disconnected again. still here while gone manage do print some material from online. but nothing seems to be fixed for the e-mail or FTM problems
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
FORGET IT FOR NOW.
Expert:  Jason Jones replied 1 year ago.

I will be the person helping you today. I can see that you may need a little bit of extra help. May I start a secure remote assistance session on your computer and help you resolve the problem? Once the remote session begins, we will be able to communicate via a chat window on your computer.

Thank you,
Jason