Quiksilver07070
Quiksilver07070, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Consultant within every computer and networking category. Troubleshoot and maintain various operating systems. Sales Engineering.
63493917

I lost the password to my WD MyBook external hard drive. I

Customer Question

I lost the password ***** my WD MyBook external hard drive. I can't get in it now. Do you know how to break past the HDs password ***** losing the data?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Quiksilver07070 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for choosing JUSTANSWER.com

.

Does this device have a RECOVERY button on it anywhere?

Pressing the recovery button while powering up the device resets the admin username and password ***** default without erasing shared folders or volumes.

1. Turn off the device and disconnect all cables from the unit.
2. Insert a paperclip or narrow tipped pen into the recovery slot on the back of the
unit. Press and hold down the recovery button.
3. While continuing to hold down the recovery button, connect the power cable to
the back of the unit.
4. Hold the recovery button down until 10 seconds after the power/activity LED
lights on the front of the device, then release the button. The unit may take up to
three minutes to boot up completely.
Note: The default user name is ***** ***** the default password ***** *****

The recovery button will most likely NOT BE LABELED on the device itself.....you would have just had to have KNOWN from the user manual if this particular device had a recovery button.

.

The very nature of a password ***** ***** PROTECT, and if by making the password ***** to get around.....then what good is the password ***** begin with?

Not all WD MyBooks are equal....there are some models that are designed for WORLD use (international) and some models are for specific country use....most notable the USA......not all models have a recovery button.

See the illustration image below.