Mozilla just destroyed my entire computer interface with AOL

Customer Question
and all my settings and...
Mozilla just destroyed my entire computer interface with AOL and all my settings and all my bookmarks, etc. You said everything would be preserved and it is all gone. How can I get it back?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Computer
3/20/2016
Tech Support Specialist: Eric Ewing, IT Pro replied 1 year ago
Eric Ewing
Eric Ewing, IT Pro
Experience: I am a technology professional with 18 years experience, and hold 15 industry certifications (from hardware/software repair to mobility to IT Security, and everything in-between!).

Hi Arthur! My name is ***** ***** I am an independent computer professional who's been paired with you via JustAnswer.com.

Your profile indicates that this is your first visit to our site...did you speak with a technician here earlier regarding Mozilla? I'm certainly happy to help you resolve the issues you described, but wondered if you could relay some more information to me...for instance, what was happening that prompted the change to Mozilla? Can you let me know some of the specifics regarding what is not working correctly now (I see that your bookmarks are an issue, but what else)?

I hope to hear back from you and look forward to assisting you with getting these issues resolved. Please know that our efforts here are a collaborative process, and I'll keep working with you till you're satisfied!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Firefox trucked me into refreshing, and it wiped out every setting I had, lost all my bookmarks, tool bar sites etc.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I meant to say tricked, but it was just an option Mozilla made available, and I used it.

Just to confirm, you received an update notification from Firefox, but the actual update wiped out all of your settings/bookmarks/etc. Is that correct?

Please allow me just a few moments while I research what I can do to help restore everything that went missing. Be back very shortly!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
that's what happened. Thanks.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I would like to put everything back the way it was, if this is possible.

I'll certainly do my best! I've been where you are, and I know it's not fun.

I'm still figuring out the best way to proceed, and will be back with you very soon. Promise.

Alright, I think I have an idea or two to run with.

Here's a question -- we offer a service that will let you connect your computer with mine, so I can work on the issue directly while you watch. It's completely secure, and the connection is severed once work is done. Ordinarily there's an extra charge for it, but if you're open to going that route we can forgo the extra fee...I just think it will benefit us to use it, so that we can both make sure the problem is resolved as quickly and efficiently as possible.

Do you think you'd be interested in going that route?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK, How do we proceed?

Great! Please allow me just an additional moment or two to setup the secure session, and I will return with directions as to how you can get connected to me. Be right back!

Thanks for your patience, Arthur! I've setup the secure remote session. Please follow this link:

http://www.justanswer.com/remotedesktop/join.aspx?Session=1b4f4394-9500-4004-8b99-08e3a8e7b4e6

...to go to our Terms & Conditions page. Once you've had a chance to read that through, click the green ACCEPT button to continue. Doing so will initiate download of a file called "Elsinore.ScreenConnect.Client.exe;" after it downloads, just run that file to be connected to me directly!

It didn't look like that link came through correctly in my last message. Here it is again:

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I going to have to think about this more. I am not comfortable with giving you access to my computer until I check this idea out with someone. I will be back again tomorrow if I want to do this. Thanks for your willingness to assist me.

Certainly! I have to admit, as an IT Security guy it does my heart good when folks stop to think about such a thing before proceeding. If you decide you're uncomfortable going that route but would still like to troubleshoot with me, I'm happy to continue offering suggestions via chat.

To come back to me later, you can visit: my.justanswer.com

...once you sign in, you'll see a list of your questions and can click on this one to be reconnected with me.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks very much. I am quite emotional at the moment, very upset and distressed. I think I am better off trying to get some sleep, and trying again tomorrow. It is not about you, it is me being in almost a state of shock that I did such a stupid thing.

On my son's first day of kindergarten, I took a *ton* of photos using my iPhone. Later in the day, an update came out for the phone and -- without thinking about it -- I wiped the device to install it. It didn't hit me till it was too late that I never backed those photos up. I was devastated...especially since I felt like, as a professional geek, I should have known better!

The point is, don't blame yourself...it happens to everyone sooner or later! With any luck, we can get your stuff back...there's several things to try and I'm sure I can help once you're ready.

Have a good night, Arthur, and I hope to see you tomorrow. I'm typically on here kinda late -- 10PM-2AM EST, but if you need a different time just return here to drop a message to me and we'll work it out. :-)

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks Eric. I appreciate your thoughtfulness and understanding very much. Take care, Arthur

Hi Arthur: it's been a few days since we chatted, and so I wanted to check back in and see if you had had any luck restoring your Firefox settings? I'm still happy to assist, if you'd like. If you'd prefer us to cancel service, please let me know so that I can ask our Customer Service team to refund your fee. Thanks!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Eric - Thank you very much for getting back to me. I have decided to "rebuild" my lost connections/bookmarks with a "screen" for only selecting the ones that are important for some good reasons. I was considering my payment to Just Ask a form of "tuition" in the school of don't do dumb things, a lesson learned so to speak. However, if you would be OK with returning my fee, I would be very grateful. Although I did not plan to have my "golden years" turn out this way, I am now living on social security as my only source of new income. Thankfully, I also have some modest savings to drawn down from for a while. If there is some way I can let your company know about how kind, generous, and helpful you have been in this matter, I would be happy to do so. Best regards, Arthur

Hi Arthur: I am happy to put in a request to our customer service team to issue a refund! I'm more pleased, though, that you've found a way to fix the problem you experienced and have been able to work through the very difficult situation. I really appreciate your kind words, and can only ask that -- should you ever need tech support in the future -- please consider coming back to "see" me.

http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-ericewing/

If you don't see your refund within 2-3 business days and haven't heard from JustAnswer.com in the meantime, please call Customer Support at(###) ###-####

Thanks, Arthur!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks again, Eric. I will certainly keep your info on file for future "mishaps," or even better, some things that might improve my computing experience. You're terrific! Best regards, Arthur
Eric Ewing
Eric Ewing
Eric Ewing, IT Pro