My mom just gave me a gateway computer and it keeps saying

Customer Question
My name is Jc &...
My name is Jc & my mom just gave me a gateway computer and it keeps saying enter current password ***** my mom forgot it
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Well I'm just trying to get into the computer and I don't know the password
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Tech Support Specialists generally expect a deposit of about $36 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Computer
3/13/2016
Tech Support Specialist: Dustin, Computer Support Specialist replied 1 year ago
Dustin, Computer Support Specialist

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you.

To start with, whats the full model of the gateway computer, and what version of windows does it have on it?

Also, and very important, The password ***** Please describe in detail what the password ***** looks like, including the color and background.. And when you press power, specifically when do you see the password ***** show up?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Gateway Intel NE56R31u
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's a blue rectangle box with white lettering and white lines outlining it and the background is all black
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
after the gateway signal pops up the password ***** up

Thats a bios password. Theres no way around it.

You have to enter, or clear the password.

Since that is an older laptop, you should be able to clear the password ***** removing the bios battery and leaving it out for an hour. Removing all power and the normal battery from the machine. And pressing and holding the power button for one minute. ( With all the cords and batteries including the bios battery removed )

This video shows you how to take the machine apart https://youtu.be/CKVljMrPmCE

At at 6 minutes and 7 seconds into the video you can see the round, small bios coin cell battery at the bottom left hand corner of the machine.

That has to be removed and left out for over an hour to clear the password.

If you have further questions, let me know.

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a rating of excellent ( 5 stars ) selected and submitted below this answer or at the top right of the screen. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What's the bios battery

Did you read through my whole reply?

The Bios Battery is what is storing your bios settings, including the BIOS password.

You either need to follow the steps I mentioned to remove the bios battery above.

Or, replace the motherboard.

Or, enter the correct password.

Dustin S.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
how far do I go into the disassembling process

Just till you can see the bios battery.

The round, small coin shaped battery at the lower left hand side that you can see at the 6 minutes and 7 seconds mark on the video I sent you~

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It didn't work at all your service didn't help I need my money back

It was only 20 minutes ago that you asked me how far to go.

Even if you disassembled the machine and removed the battery in 5 minutes. You still only had the battery out for 15 minutes.

In my original reply, I said you had to leave that battery out for at least an hour.

Make sure the power cord and the normal charging battery were also removed.

Press and hold power for for one minute with everything disconnected.. And then leave the machine unplugged, with the bios battery removed. For one hour.

Its only been a little over 20 minutes.. Im not surprised the steps didnt work, as you havent followed them..

Please make sure you are following the exact steps I am suggesting.

Because if you dont follow those steps then the only way you can remove the password ***** ***** repalce the motherboard..

You can get a new motherboard at ebay when they have them instock for your specific model, and a working motherboard usually runs about 100 to 150$. http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.A0.H0.XNE56R31u++motherboard.TRS5&_nkw=NE56R31u++motherboard&_sacat=0

Ive sent you the correct steps to resolve the issue. Its up to you to follow those steps~

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't care I want my money back
Dustin, Computer Support Specialist