Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

Iwas given a nec computer and it boots up no bios screen

Customer Question

Hi iwas given a nec computer and it boots up no bios screen asks to enter current password ***** there isn't any so press enter a cross appears and beeps after 3 beeps a smiley face appears and then stuck there
Windows classic
Intel celeron
Category: Computer
Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, I'm Tim and will be assisting you today. I have over 15 Years as an Engineer and have been with eBay, DoD and many others. I will do my VERY BEST to help you. If you like i can offer remote access and a call. In addition, with any positive rating I will support your question going forward for free.

Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.

Sounds like a bad cmos battery...this is on the motherboard and looks like a watch bvattery, when these go bad the bios will ask for a password.....also a very old system...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But even connected to power does the same thing
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is what it does
Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.

cmos battery has nothing to do with actual power from the wall, the cmo's batteries job is to keep track of date and time, so that when it is not plugged into the wall it can keep track, when these go bad, and they do since they are non rechargeable batteries, this problem pops up.