I have Lenovo Erazer X700. Was running Windows 8.3. Somehow

Customer Question
Windows 10 was installed while I...
I have Lenovo Erazer X700. Was running Windows 8.3. Somehow Windows 10 was installed
while I was at work. When I get back the login screen is locked up. I reboot (power down then up) and PC says Error 1962 No operating system found. Can you help please?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Computer
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/10/2016
Tech Support Specialist: Harold Hanna, Computer Hardware Engineer replied 1 year ago
Harold Hanna
Harold Hanna, Computer Hardware Engineer

Is all you get is the error screen now? No more Windows 10 login?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Just the error screen. Windowsdoes not start.

OK understood. When you turn on the computer, please tap the F12 key to enter the BIOS.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
In.

Press the right button to move to Startup, then change CSM to enable if it is not so already.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK.

Then change the Boot Priority from Legacy first, to UEFI first

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Done.

Once this is done, press F10. This will save the BIOS when you confirm it by pushing yes. Restart your computer after saving and let me know what happens.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It says "NTLDR is missing" press Ctrl+alt+del to restart. I did this twice and it keeps returning to this screen.

OK do you have only*****installed?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
1 solid state and 3 rotating.

OK, are you attempting to boot off the SSD? You may want to go back into the BIOS, or hit an F key to specifically select which HD to boot off of.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Do I boot from UEFI or Legacy? I assume the OS is on the SSD.

Windows 10 uses UEFI. It is an odd situation as you were not the one who installed Windows 10, so at this point it could be on any of the drives I would believe?

Windows 10 is moving towards UEFI I should restate, it depends how it is configured. I will see if there's a button to select your boot device for that machine.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I guess I'm in trouble.

You can go back into the BIOS and see where it is booting from? Also ensure any USB/DVD drives are empty/disconnected so they do not interfere with the boot process.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Boot mode is set to UEFI Only. No USB memory installed.

OK can you verify it is booting off the SSD? It should show what devices it will boot off of and their order. A problem is we don't know how Windows 10 got on there. Are we even sure Windows 10 was installed? The NTLDR is usually associated with a corrupt master boot record. We could try to fix it. Or, you may still have a recovery partition we can look into, to restore the older version of Windows?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Startup device menu:
SATA 3: ST1000DM003-1CH162
SATA 5: PLDS DVD-RW DH16ACSH
Other Device: ST500DM002-1BD142
Other Device: ST300641ASThe first is highlighted

It won't hurt anything changing the order of these. The problem is however Windows 10 got installed, they would have had to pick the device to install on. Without you being the one who actually installed it, we have no way to know where it installed Windows 10. But switching these around may allow us to find it.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Nope. I hope the SSD is not messed up.

That may be a possibility too as it doesn't seem it is listed. Can you check in the BIOS and instead of looking at the startup devices, look at the actual installed devices? Are you using a RAID controller or something to allow this many devices, or are some of the devices not SATA (EIDE?)

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
In Devices SATA mode is AHCI and eSATA Controller is enabled.

Are you able to see a list of all your connected devices? Not in the startup menu, but it is usually in the first page. These are settings that cannot change, as they are a display of what is currently installed. We want to make sure your SSD is still showing up.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
SATA Drive 1 None
SATA Drive 2 None
SATA Drive 3 St1000DM003-1CH162
SATA Drive 4 None
SATA Drive 5 CD/DVD
SATA Drive 6 NoneHow did they get disconnected?

Unfortunately it is more likely it died than has been disconnected. You can double check it, and also swap it on the cable to another cable in case that is the problem (the cable)

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sorry. I have a work call.

That is fine. When you have time please check the drive and the cable. I hope I have led you in the correct direction with this problem, it does seem the SSD drive may have went bad at least from what we are seeing now. Let me know after you verify and if you need my help we can find a cost efficient replacement. If you have any other questions feel free to ask here. If you appreciated my assistance please rate me!

Harold Hanna
Harold Hanna