I have Windows 8.1. I had a french language keyboard with…

Customer Question
I have Windows 8.1. I...
I have Windows 8.1. I had a french language keyboard with which I was able to put accents on my documents. The keyboard and the accents disappeared. This keyboard was available by clicking on the keyboard on the icon on the bottom of the screen. I just selected French and when I was done I clicked back the English keyboard.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Computer
3/7/2016
Tech Support Specialist: IT Miro, Computer Scientist replied 2 years ago
IT Miro, Computer Scientist

Hello! My name is*****

It is possible to switch between several keyboard layouts (languages) using the keyboard icon located on the bottom of the screen; however, you first need to assign those keyboard layouts (languages) in the Control Panel.

Here is how to do it:

1. Enter desktop

2. Right-click on the Windows Start button located in the bottom left corner and select Control Panel

3. In the Control Panel, click on the Clock, Language, and Region category and then click on Language (or just click on Language in case you don't see categories)

4. There you can add or remove keyboard layouts (languages). You need to have at least two in order for the keyboard icon appear on the bottom of the screen

In case you have added two or more languages, but still cannot see the keyboard icon, then go back to the Language window and then click on Advanced settings located on the left side. There check the Use the desktop language bar when it's available check-box and then click on Options on the right side. Select Docked in the taskbar and check only the last check-box (Show text labels on the Language bar). Click OK and Save, and you can now easily change between languages.

Let me know if this worked for you.

Regards,

Hello again!

I am following up with you to see if you require further assistance. If you don't require further assistance, please take a moment to rate my assistance by clicking on the stars located in the upper right corner of the page.

Thanks,