Error code 0xc0000185

Customer Question
Error code 0xc0000185
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Computer
3/4/2016
Tech Support Specialist: IT Miro, Computer Scientist replied 2 years ago
IT Miro, Computer Scientist

Hello! My name is*****

Do you get the mentioned error message upon starting up the computer?

Let me know,

Recovery
Your pic needs to be repaired
The boot configuration data for your pic is missing or contains errors
Error code 0xc0000185
Acer-603g-uw30
Windows 8.1
I just need to get my pictures back I can't find my USB that has the picture on there please help me get my pictures back

Thanks for the information!

That error message refers to corrupted boot files. In order to fix it, you will need to use a Windows 8.1 disk. Do you have it?

No i do not have one

In that case, there is a way to create it, but you will need to use another working computer with Internet connection. Let me know if you have access to another computer.

I have my laptop

Good. I will now provide the instructions on how to use your laptop to create a Windows 8.1 disk that you can use to repair the problem for your Acer computer.

Hold on...

Ok thank you

Here are the instructions - do this on your laptop:

First, go to this webpage:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

It describes how to create a Windows 8.1 installation media. Click on the Create Media button and run the downloaded tool. Select the language, edition and architecture. Make sure to match the one that is installed on your Acer computer.

Click Next and you can choose between creating a bootable USB flash drive or a bootable disk (ISO file). In case you have an USB flash drive, you can plug it in and use it for creating a bootable Windows 8.1 media. Note that the process will format the USB flash drive, so make sure to transfer the important files to your laptop first.

If you want to create a bootable disk instead, select the ISO file option and click Next. You will be prompted where to save the file, and then wait until it has been downloaded from the Internet. It may take some time. When done, you can burn the ISO file onto a blank DVD (not CD). To do that, you can use a free program named Free ISO Burner which you can download on this link:

http://tinyurl.com/no2zumy

Start Free ISO Burner and insert a blank DVD. Click Open and locate the ISO file you downloaded using the media creation tool and then click Burn. After you have burned the disk, eject it and insert it into your Acer computer. Restart the computer and the computer should then start the Windows 8.1 setup.

You may need to access the BIOS on your Acer computer and set booting from either an USB flash disk or DVD, depending on what you chose to create.

Once your Acer computer has booted from the Windows 8.1 media, you will see the Windows Setup window with two options:

1. Install Now

2. Repair your computer

Click on "Repair your computer". The "Choose an option" screen will appear. On that screen, click on "Troubleshoot", and then click on "Advanced options". First, select "Automatic Repair" which should automatically detect and fix all found boot problems. The computer will restart and let it boot to Windows 8.1 as usual. In case the problem remained, boot from the Windows 8.1 installation media again, and follow the same steps, but this time select "System Restore" instead.

On the System Restore window, select a date you know your Acer computer worked just fine. The process will attempt to restore all Windows and program settings to that date, so hopefully, this will solve the problem.

Let me know the results.

Regards,

Hello again!

I am following up with you to see if you require further assistance. If you do, let me know.

If you don't require further assistance, please take a moment to rate my assistance by clicking on the stars located in the upper right corner of the page.

Thanks,

i have been trying to get it to open the usb but its still not doing anything I got the bios open and still nothing its not booting from the usb

Hello again!

First, make sure you have created a bootable USB drive using the Windows 8.1 media creation tool. Check if your USB drive contains Windows files that take up around 2 GB in total.

Then, you need to enable booting from the USB. You probably need to make several changes in the BIOS to successfully boot from a USB drive. Restart your Acer computer and then keep pressing the Delete key or the F2 key in order to access the BIOS.

There first go to the Authentication tab. For "Secure Boot", set it as Disabled. After that, go to the Boot Options tab. For "Launch CSM", select Always. Next, for "1st Boot Device", select "Removable Device". For "Boot Menu", select Enabled. Finally, go to the Save and Exit tab and choose "Save Changes and Exit", and confirm.

Your Acer computer will then restart and should automatically boot from the USB drive. In case it doesn't, restart the computer and then keep pressing the F12 key which should bring you the "Boot menu selection". There you can select your USB drive, which could be named as "removable device" or "storage device" or similar.

Once you have accessed the Windows Setup, choose "Repair your computer" and proceed with the repair options.

Let me know the results.

Thanks I will try it tomorrow morning

OK. Hopefully, it will work.

Unfortunately nothing is working still. It won't open from the USB
On the boot options there is no launch CMS just boot priority order 1-4 hard disk driver priority, optical disk driver priority, removable device proiorty, and network device priority then boot meun, quiet boot, did recovery and halt on

Hello!

Please look for the "Secure Boot" or "Fast Boot" options in the BIOS and disable that, and then try again. In case it still won't boot from the USB drive, then I suggest creating a bootable disc instead. You can use the same media creation tool to download the ISO file and then burn it onto a blank DVD using the Free ISO Burner program, as I originally described.

After that, set CD/DVD drive in the BIOS as the 1st boot device and it should boot from it.