I just purchased an external floppy drive to take photos off…

Customer Question
I just purchased an external...
I just purchased an external floppy drive to take photos off old floppies, but it won't read them. It says the disk needs to be formatted. These are Memorex 2SHD 1.44 floppies that were formatted when I bought them. Can you guess what the problem might be? The floppy drive says it works with XP.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Computer
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/3/2016
Tech Support Specialist: Jason Jones, Computer Expert replied 2 years ago
Jason Jones, Computer Expert

I will be the person helping you today. I can see that you may need a little bit of extra help. When ever antiquated technology is used in newer systems, there are a lot of issues that may occur that require a bit of analysis before coming up with the correct solution? May I start a secure remote assistance session on your computer and help you resolve the problem? Once the remote session begins, we will be able to communicate via a chat window on your computer.

Thank you,
Jason

Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Secure Remote Assistance. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

After you click the "Accept this offer" button for the remote service, the remote link will be posted here. That will be the last charge for today.

This means that I would have spend over $80 for this. I could take it to my computer repair for less. Why when I paid dearly for an "answer" do I continue to get these offers - - Monthly subscriptions, etc., that make it difficult to navigate this site?

The website will give you offers, but you can ignore them if you wish. The remote costs more because it takes more of my time. Do you not wish to do the remote?

No remote. I would appreciate your answer for my initial question, please.

Without remoting in, I cannot analyze the problem.

For this reason, I am opting out of the question and allowing another expert the chance to help.

The next expert will see all that is on this page, so there will be no need to repeat anything.

When another expert picks this up, you will be notified by email.

Thank you for your patience.

- Jason

Let's just forget the whole thing. I don't know why I was required to pay before learning that I would have to pay more for a remote session. I will cancel my payment with Paypal as it seems this question will require more than I am willing to pay. Thank you for your time.
Tech Support Specialist: Harold Hanna, Computer Hardware Engineer replied 2 years ago
Harold Hanna
Harold Hanna, Computer Hardware Engineer

Hello Judy, I can attempt to assist you without remote if you would like?

Since it appears that PayPal has already been charged, I will ask you to go ahead and answer the question without remote control. The initial statement when applying said I could review the answer and if I wasn't satisfied, I could dispute the payment. Why collect before the answer is even given?

This is true. I am not sure why it collected already I was under the assertion that you only pay once you have accepted the answer, or have requested and accepted remote support or other services. Either way, Jason was correct it is much easier to look at this remotely, but we do not need to do that at this time and we can try without it. Now either way, if I am unable to assist you, even if we had remote you could always be refunded, so you are never "locked" into paying, and your satisfaction is guaranteed.

How old are the disks you are trying to recover pictures from?

Very old, like 2005 or so, but they were only used once to store and have been kept safely tucked away since that time.
As I said in my initial request, they are Memorex, formatted disks, 2SHD (I'm not sure what that means) 1.44 mb.

And what operating system are you using now, and what OS did you use when you were storing the photos?

The floppy reader is a USB portable drive that purports to work with XP. I was using the same OS when copying the files on a scanner from old print pictures.

OK so when you put in a floppy disk, it says you need to format the disk? Do you have a spare disk that has no data on it that we can test to make sure the drive is reading and writing properly?

I would have to scrounge around to see if I have an empty. I think I did away with them long ago. I can look, though. I just went to "My Computer", drive A and clicked on "properties." I showed drive A as full and there is no disk in it. When I installed it, it said it was ready to use. Does the drive itself need to be formatted?

The drive itself does not need to be formatted or anything with that. If you can find an old disk I want to format it and move data to it, to rule out a possibility of your new disk drive being bad.

I have no empty disks, but I could try to let the drive format one that I don't need anymore.

OK that will be perfect.

When I put one in and try to reformat it, it asks for capacity, etc. When I click on "capacity" it blues the whole box out. I've never formatted a disk and don't know what's happening.

Does it give you options like 1.44?

Under "capacity" it gives me a solid blue box, no options

Are you able to click format regardless of nothing being in capacity?

No. I think this is futile. The unit cost less than $15 and I intend a 1-time use. I think I'll just trash the thing and find another avenue for getting the files taken off. I would assume that there will be no charge for this session. I believe it would take a great deal more time and result in the same "no answer." No fault of yours, just now worth it.

I understand that is fine. If we thought the disks might be old and not really be intact we could try a recovery which may help but I'm not sure if the drive is working yet at this time, we would need to verify it. I understand you will not be charged and I can put this for a refund if you would like to not continue.

That would be great. Please put in for a refund. I appreciate your efforts. Thank You

Have a nice day!

You, too. Bye Harold