I have a Gateway ZX6971 desktop computer that I am trying to…

Customer Question
Hello, I have a Gateway ZX6971...
I have a Gateway ZX6971 desktop computer that I am trying to use. After it boots up, the message press Carl-alt-delete or Windows security button to log on. When I attempt this, nothing happens. I do not know where the Windows security button is located. The keyboard and mouse is being recognized because it works in the boot up before this point. Can you help me
Thanks
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Computer
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/3/2016
Tech Support Specialist: Richard, Computer Specialist replied 2 years ago
Richard, Computer Specialist

Hi there and welcome

As the first step Tom, can you please remove the power cable from the computer then hold the power button in for 60 seconds then release.

Then connect the power cable, turn on the computer and tell me if it then starts.

Let me know the results please

Ok, I did that and the same results. As it was booting, I selected start Windows normally with my keyboard and verified the keyboard is working

ok, power it off.

Power it on and keep tapping F8 until you get to a menu. Can you get to this menu?

Ok, the menu starts with repair your computer with other options below

ok, now choose to repair the computer.

Let this complete and tell me if it now starts please

Ok

thanks

Ok, now a screen appeared named system recovery options, there seems to be a drop down with select a keyboard input method with us highlighted in blue. Neither the mouse or keyboard is accessible now

Are you using a wireless keyboard and mouse?

No, they are hard wired to the USB ports

ok, change the usb port for both of them and tell me if it now controls the menu.

Ok, now it is asking for a password. The only option is user. I don't know the password

try leaving it blank

I did and get an error user name or password ***** *****

ok,its a password ***** set when you first installed windows, but now the keyboard is working, restart the computer and tell me if it now functions please.

Should I start Windows normally

yes please

Ok, now a am at the login screen. It is asking for a user name and password ***** the password ***** the previous user. I initially used this computer at home and after getting a Mac, took this to my office and one of the guys there was using it. I do not know his password ***** want to start fresh

ok, then try to do a factory restore which removes all data from the computer and returns it to new.

So power off the computer, power it on and keep tapping F11 until you get to the recovery manager.

Then choose to perform a factory restore.

This works IF they did not remove this image

Let me know the results please.

Tried twice, keeps bringing me back to previous log on screen
It does give me an option to switch user but then ask for user name and password

ok, was afraid of this but they removed the image and put on the work image.

you need to get a windows disk and install it from this, as the image thats supplied with the computer has been wiped.

You put the windows disk in the computer, start the computer and keep tapping any key and the disk will load.

You then go through the installation of windows and the computer will be as new, but you need a windows disk to do this.

Ok, where do I get that?

you need to purchase it, you can get one from my link below

Click me to open

Or ask the company you got it from if they can lend you one to install.

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Else if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you