PC cant boot up get a cursor with a black screen, F9 results…

Customer Question
PC cant boot up...

PC cant boot up get a cursor with a black screen, F9 results say BIOHD1

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Computer
2/21/2016
Tech Support Specialist: Dustin, Computer Support Specialist replied 2 years ago
Dustin, Computer Support Specialist

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you.

To get started, whats the full name brand and model of your PC?

Also, what version of windows does it have installed. Windows xp, vista, windows 7, windows 8, or windows 10 ?

Thank you for your response,

Dustin S.

I'm not sure what was originally installed I upgraded to 10 about three months ago

Thank you, ***** ***** are running windows 10.

How about the name brand and model of the PC.. Such as An acer spire x15 or a Dell Inspiron 15r ?

HP Pavillion model HPE 450f
Im on my laptop with you now over wifi its my desk top that's fried

Understood.. Ok, now that I understand the version of windows we are working with and I have a clear image of the actual desktop we are working with.

Heres what I need to know next. If you turn the desktop off , then turn it on.

In order, what do we see on screen? Does it go straight to the black screen with a blinking cursor?

Or, do you see the HP splash screen first? Does it ever bring up the windows sign in screen?

HP splash screen and then - black screen with blinking cursor in the left hand corner - next it looks like its trying to boot with a Client MAC addr and spinning cursor for abut a min or so then Exiting then it says Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media
never a windows sign in screen

Understood.

Ok, when you very first press power and you see the HP splash screen if you hurry and tap the F10 key..

That should get you into the bios settings. Inside the bios settings.

If we check the boot order, what exactly is listed first?

where do I look under main advanced power boot or exit

It should be in the boot section..

After we check the boot order.. I also want you to look in every section and disable / turn off anything similar to

Secure boot

Fast boot

And enable anything similar to d2d recovery or recovery ( if you see it )

check all sections thoroughly~

And especially verify what you have listed for your first and second boot devices, word for word.

Under boot it says1st boot device CD-Rom
2nd Boot device Hard Drive Group
3rd bootdevice Floppy group
4th boot device Network boot group
1st Boot Device [CD-Rom Group]
2nd Boot Device [Floppy Group]
I don't see secure or fast boot anywhere

Hmmm.. It doesnt at any point list a hard drive with a strange or long code next to it?

Still, lets make sure we change your first boot device to the hard drive group.

And if you see any dhttp://amzn.to/1oCuZmTrives or options listed that have long codes, let me know what those codes are..

After you put the hard drive as the first boot device, you will need to save settings and exit.

It looks like your hard drive has died though. The good news is, its a cheap replacement if thats the case.. For instance, this hard drive is compatible with your HP http://amzn.to/1oCuZmT

Thats a 1 terrabyte hard drive.

Hopefully though, when you change the boot order it will let you boot from your hard drive again.

If not, youll need to replace the hard drive. if you get stuck or have further questions let me know.

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a rating of excellent ( 5 stars ) selected and submitted below this answer or at the top right of the screen. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.

no dice on the change to boot order. is the new hard drive difficult to install and get running?

Its fairly simple.. The parts are made to be user removable. The most difficult part is reinstalling windows on the blank hard drive. As youd need a disk to do that..

This page shows the replacement process for a very similar model. http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01761263

As far as windows 10.. Since its a free upgrade to windows 7 and 8.. You could save some money ( if you dont have a windows 7, 8 or 10 install disk ) by purchasing a copy of windows 7 here.

http://amzn.to/1Vxm54j

Thats about the lowest cost you will find a valid and full windows 7 install disk for sale, with a valid and working product key. Once installed. and once you download and install your drivers from HP again.. You will be able to upgrade to windows 10 for free.. You just have to get a copy of windows on the drive first~

Dustin S.

Dustin, Computer Support Specialist