I have a CanonMX860 that isn't printing. It's connected to…

Customer Question
I have a CanonMX860...

I have a CanonMX860 that isn't printing. It's connected to the computer, the print window says my document is "ready to print" but it just doesn't print. I've had this printer for a few years and this is the first time this has happened.

Technician's Assistant: Good tech support is often the difference between a quick fix and many sleepless nights. The Computer Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Computer Technician should know?

The printer copies and scans, it just won't print from the computer.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Computer
2/20/2016
Tech Support Specialist: Shefin, Computer Support Specialist replied 2 years ago
Shefin, Computer Support Specialist

Hello!

Thank you for your question. I am Shefin and I look forward to helping you with your issue today.

Please let me know the operating system (E.g. Windows 7, Mac OS X 10.7) and connection type (USB or wireless), so that I can assist you better.

Thank you.
S H E F I N

Mac OS X Yosemite version 10.10.5
using a USB cable with the printer

Please try the following and let me know if the issue persists.

1. Choose System Preferences from the Apple menu.
  2. Choose Printers & Scanners.
  3. Hold down the Control key as you click in the list at the left, then choose “Reset printing system” from the menu that appears.
  4. Then, click the + (plus sign that you see on the print & scan window, and not on the keyboard) sign to add printer. Select your printer from the list.

Note : Make sure that you are resetting the printing system before adding the printer.

If the issue persists, or you have any questions, please be back and let me know.

If you appreciate my service, please rate it EXCELLENT by clicking the EXCELLENT (5 Stars) and Submit. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business!

Thank you!
S H E F I N

Hey Shefin - Ok. I reset the printer. It says that it's printing but it's just not. Nothing is happening.

Do you have a different printer USB cable to test with the computer?

Thank you.

S H E F I N

still not working

Are you able to copy like Xerox without using the computer?

Does it print blank pages?

Thank you.

S H E F I N

it copies blank pages

lease try the following and let me know the response.

Remove all the ink cartridges from the machine.
Then clean the contacts on the cartridges as well as inside the machine itself. Inside means the printhead where the cartrdige seats.
Do this with a small amount of warm water on a cotton swab until no ink comes off on the swab.
If any of the other cartridges are low, empty, leaking or bulging replace them.
Then turn off the machine and unplug it for 5 minutes.
Plug it back it and wait for the insert cartridges message.
Insert the cartridges and check to see if the problem is still there.

Thank you.

S H E F I N

OK I'll try it. When I go onto the printer's error log, it says just says unresponsive job. You think dirty ink connections is the problem?

If it prints blank pages, the issue might be with the printhead of the printer.

Thank you.

S H E F I N

still not working. Another idea - on the printer display, it's saying "copy" (and down below it says "start copy"). The "copy" icon button is lit up. Could it be just as simple as somehow switching it from "copy" mode to "print" mode? If so, how do I do that?

When it copies, do you see any ink on the page?

While printing from the computer, does it print a blank page?

Can I access your computer remotely and check the issue?

Thank you.

S H E F I N

it copies perfectly. Yes, ink on the page.
When printing from the computer, it simply does nothing. That's the problem. Nothing happens when I try to print the document. No noises from the printer, nothing.
it says it's printing but it's not. No response.

Please go to the link below, download and install the update.

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1742?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Note : Please make sure that you are installing the update after downloading it. It is a big file, so it may take some time to get it downloaded.

Then, do the reset once again and add the printer..

2. Choose Printers & Scanners.

Thank you.

S H E F I N

Ok download and installed the update and reset the printer again. Still not working.

Thank you.

S H E F I N

ok. How do you do that?

Please go to the link below, click Download listed under All-In-One: TeamViewer full version.

http://www.teamviewer.com/hi/download/mac.aspx

After installing it, let me know the ID (E.g 578 467 234) and password (E.g. 2345), so that I can access your computer.

Thank you.

S H E F I N

It's not a problem with the computer though. It's the printer.
I'll try it but I'm skeptical

Since you are unable to print from the computer, the issue is with the printer driver.

Since you are able to copy, the printer works fine.

Thank you.

S H E F I N

OK.
ID: 363 072 063
password: 167xuq

Thank you!
S H E F I N

Shefin, Computer Support Specialist