Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

I have updated a laptop from Windows 8.0 to 8.1, but now

Customer Question

Hi, I have updated a laptop from Windows 8.0 to 8.1, but now have a inoperative start screen/desktop. I meant to uninstall the 'ClassicShell' (provides the old style desktop/icons) program before the update, but did not and now seem to have this fighting (even though definitely removed) with the Windows Tile Screen. The end result is the ClassicShell screen loses the icons then flashes - left for a time the Widows screen sometimes appears, but there is no mouse response i.e.frozen. I can access the Task Manager and notice that Explorer.exe keeps switching between working and not. I can start most program via the Task Manager, so it appears Windows is actually working, other that for this problem. Installing and uninstalling ClassicShell makes no difference, and this includes making sure there are no registry entries/files left in the system. Today to my surprise the ClassicShell desktop worked, be it for only 30 mins - How can this be? Is there a config. file etc. that is causing the issue?
Hope you can guide me.
Best regards,
Peter Malyn
Category: Computer
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.

Hello, welcome to JustAnswer my name is ***** ***** I'm one of the experts who will be assisting you today.

Sorry to hear you're having trouble with your computer.

Have you tried creating a new user profile or enable the administrator account to see if the problem still occurs?

Please reply using the box below.

Regards,