Michelle
Michelle, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  B.Sc. Computer Science with Honors
26798893

I am using windows fax and scan on windows 7. It was working

Customer Question

I am using windows fax and scan on windows 7. It was working fine for a couple of days and now suddenly it stopped receiving faxes. It automatically answers the call but after 30-45secs hangs up and says that the call could not be answered as a fax or that there was an error.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be the expert working with you today to help and resolve the problem you have posted

let me know the make and model of the printer

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The problem is not with the printer. It is with the Windows Fax and Scan program.btw, my printer is Canon Imageclass MF4770n
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

Click theStart button, in the search box type Fax, and then clickWindows Fax and Scan.

2. To use Fax view, clickFax at the bottom of the left pane.

3. Click theTools menu, and then click Fax Settings. If you're prompted for an administrator password ***** confirmation, type the password ***** provide confirmation.

4. Click theGeneral tab, and then, under Send/receive options, select theAllow device to receive fax calls check box.

5. ClickAutomatically answer after X rings, select the number of times you want the phone to ring before the modem answers, and then clickOK.

Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

let me know how it goes

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It started receiving faxes now. Thanks. Is there a way to let the fax status monitor not pop up with each fax?
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

try the below

Open Fax and scan

ii. Click on Tools

iii. Select Fax settings and click on Tracking tab

Click the Tracking tab to adjust how to be notified about the status of a sent or received fax. By default, all notifications (which appear as pop-up balloon notes), fax monitor settings, and sound options are enabled

Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

let me know if you have any more questions

Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

I hope I've provided the information you were seeking. If you have any question feel free to ask. Please provide a rating by clicking on the stars on top right of the page and hit submit. If you are unable to follow the steps i gave feel free to ask or reply me so that i can continue to help you answer you question further. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That helped. Thanks.
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

you are welcome

I hope I've provided the information you were seeking. If you have any question feel free to ask. Please provide a rating by clicking on the stars on top right of the page and hit submit.