How do I access the hdd of a lg/dvd recorder to my pc or a…

Customer Question
How do I access...

How do I access the hdd of a lg/dvd recorder to my pc or a mac using anything at all?

Technician's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

I want to transfer file/s from my LG HDD/DVD recorder to another HDD or a PC or Mac computer

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Computer
1/31/2016
Tech Support Specialist: Quiksilver07070, Computer Support Specialist replied 2 years ago
Quiksilver07070
Quiksilver07070, Computer Support Specialist

Hello and thank you for choosing JUSTANSWER.com

.

Can you tell me the MAKE and MODEL number of the LG dvd recorder, please?

.

I need that so i can pull the technical manuals to help solve the issue of pulling the files from the LG hard drive to your PC.

Thank you, ***** is "LG" Model Nº RH7900MH DVD/DVD Looking forward to your reply
Derrick

Okay, so after reading through all the specifications for this player/recorder, there is a NO WAY to directly connect the internal HDD to a computer.

And heres WHY!

.

These types of players were engineered and designed to operate and be 100% fully independent of a computer.

Basically, they never designed this device to connect to a computer DIRECTLY.

There are no USB ports....there are no digital computer interfaces AT ALL!

.

So how do you backup and SAVE your movies OFF the HDD.

Well, the way the manual puts it is to BURN your data to DVD. then you can erase the HDD.

.

You could in theory, take the DVD and pop it in a computer, and then RIP the DVD to a file, and then save it to your computers HDD.

.

As far as i can tell, and because this device was made 4 or 5 years ago (before HDMI), you HAVE to follow this procedure to copy the files/folders FROM the LG hdd to your computer hdd, by burning the files/folders to a DVD first.....then put that DVD in your computer and RIP the disc.

.

Its the ONLY way.......i even called my Uncle....who actually has a verison of this type of recorder (and is a genius to boot) and he even said there is NO way to do it in a FULLY digital way.

.

You could however (if you have the proper video equipment on your computer) run the output from the recorder, THROUGH your computer and then you could just record what is on the screen.

But this requires a special video card, that has an INPUT, as well as software to CAPTURE and save FROM the input of the video card.

.

So...in conclusion, you are trying to use this LG recorder (by directly connecting to a computer) in a way that it was NOT designed to be.

So to work around the way it was designed, you have to take a LONG way around....unfortunatley.

I can give you the Technical User Manual, if you like?

.

Thats the Long and Short of it.

.

Please take a moment to RATE my performance...thank you

I am still trying to copy the LG HDD by other means. I know it will not be easy but I hate to give up. As you can imagine my LG's disk space is very limited with things like "Gone with the Wind" etc and my dear wife wants to keep them all.
Thank you for your reply.
Kinde regards
Derrick

I dont mean to belittle you....but there are no other means of pulling the data from the HDD while it resides INSIDE the LG DVD recorder.

The problem is that the firmware on the LG dvd recorder is not capable of opening a communication channel between the HDD and a data port. There is not even a USB port that can be used to accomplish this......so again.....you will be wasting your time.

.

However......there is a possible solution.

You could open the LG dvd recorder and remove the HDD, its quite simple really, and its just a standard HDD, same as a PC would have.

Then connect the HDD (from the LG dvd) to your computer. THEN you would be able to pull the data no problem.

.

Thats the only WAY!

Trust me.......i do this for a living!

.

Please take a moment to rate my performance.Thank you!

As you say, It would seem that the best thing to do would be to remove the HDD and take it from there.
Thank you
Derrick

Yeah, but that is only speculation.....what if the FIRMWARE is using an encrypted key to save the data on the HDD. Then you are screwed.

.

They do NOT publish the engineering behind their DVD recorders.....this is considered their trade secrets.

.

Also, the DVD recorders were not designed to be taken apart, so may end up breaking something....and not able to get it back together.

You do this at your OWN rish, and at your own Peril.

I speak from experience, but I also speak from a place of caution.

Please be careful!

.

So, how about a rating?

I did take the HDD from the LG recorder but found it was encrypted, unable to read on my Mac 27 or Windows 10 I managed to put it back again into the machine and it is still working OK. I'm going to try something else before I give up and I will let you know if I get the show on the road'
Thanks for your suggestions
Kind regards
Derrick

I hate to say it...but i TOLD YOU SO!

.

I mentioned that it was possible that the HDD was encrypted.

.

I have ALREADY given you the answer to this problem, but you are refusing to believe me.

So im not sure what else you want me to do ?

Thank you for telling me that it is not possible to transfer the files on my LG DVD/HDD recorder
and that I am all screwed up. It's all good fun
Derrick

Glad you take it all in stride!

.

No Disrespect intended.

.

I wish you the best.

Cheers Mate!

Tech Support Specialist: Don Williams,
 replied 2 years ago
Don Williams

Please be sure to rate the expert so this can be closed. We all like a clean workspace.

No thanks
There is no point on going any further.
Derrick