I have a microsoft surface 3 tablet that I want to reset to…

Customer Question
hello, I have a microsoft...
hello, I have a microsoft surface 3 tablet that I want to reset to factory settings as new. However I cannot do this because when I try to recover or reinstall it ask for an administrative password ***** I do not have. (purchased this unit online, probably what I get for doing that) Is there a way to recover the password, or just bypass so I can reset the tablet?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Computer
1/31/2016
Tech Support Specialist: Michael Hannigan, Information Systems Manager replied 2 years ago
Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Information Systems Manager

Hello. Thank you for coming to JustAnswer.

Sorry for the delay and thank you for your patience. My name is Michael. I will be helping you with your question today. I am an Expert in the Computer category. If you feel this is not the best category for your question, let me know and I will forward it to the appropriate group of Experts.

Please let me know if there as any additional information that you think might be pertinent to your question. If I don't hear back from you, I'll provide the best answer I can based on the information you've given so far. You will still be able to reply with additional information or questions at any point during our conversation, and I'll revise the my answer accordingly.

I'm not sure this matters, but when turned on, the surface ask for a domain log in.

Was it connected to a domain at a time previously?

Normally, when you use the device, you are logged in under your user account, which is an admin account. This means you should be able to complete the reset by using the account you normally use just to log into Windows.

If you haven't been able to log in at all, that's a little more difficult, since someone else has their account protecting the operating system. And without being able to rest your (their) password, you won't be able to reset it the typical way.

You an try using a password ***** program from a third party like password *****

http://bitli.es/yWlvr2

it was connected to a domain previously by the looks of it. I have used 2 different 3rd party software; Konboot and nt password ***** I believe. Both which did not work. I'll try the Password ***** and see if that works.

If that doesn't work, you should be able to install a fresh copy of Windows from USB. Not the ideal situation, but a fallback if you need it.

I have tried to install a fresh copy of Windows 8.1 however it always ask me for a administrative password ***** I can proceed

You should be able to do it with a downloaded recovery image:

http://bitli.es/qGaPSp

If you recover from an external drive, it will format the drive on the surface.

This is not good. That means that it belongs to an Enterprise customer and the person who sold it to you is not the rightful owner. I would either contact the seller or contact the company to whom it belongs if you can figure that out from the domain.

Uh oh, so looks like I'm up the creek. The seller is no where to be found, and I have no idea what company it's from

Unfortunately, I think that may be the case. It may be something you should report to the police in case it is stolen. Just to CYA.