The keyboard will not print all letters to the screen and i…

Customer Question
The keyboard will not print...
The keyboard will not print all letters to the screen and i have to use the onscreen keyboard. How can i repair this problem??
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Computer
1/30/2016
Tech Support Specialist: Randy Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist replied 2 years ago
Randy Computer Tech
Randy Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist

What is the brand/model of your computer please?

it is a HP. Model: FE698UA, HP Pavilion Notebook PC DV9927CL
Just give me step-by-step instructions on how to solve this problem with the keyboard not printing letters to the screen and necessitating that i use the on screen keyboard. The letters "i", "x" and number 8 are just a few of the letters and number.
i cleaned the keys

This sounds like you will need to replace the keyboard.

i have and the same problem exists after i replaced the keyboard with another one by placing the cord in the UV port. it is a laptop.

okay, try this please>

1. Click Start, next All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, and then System Restore.
  2. System restore will show a recommended restore, which is the latest created restore point. In case you are sure the system was still running properly on this date, click Next; else select Choose a different restore point. This will present you with a list of available restore points, ordered by date. Select a date on which, or prior to, you know your system was working correctly, and click Next.
  3. You will receive a confirmation window. Click Finish to start the restore process. The system will automatically restart as part of the process.
i will try to restore the system but i have done this already but will do it again. The restore process could take quite a while - can
you wait - or do you want to e mail me or can i e mail you.

yes, reply here when finished. Make sure and choose a restore point to when the keyboard was working.

i had 3 restore points; all done on 1/29/2016 - at 9:00AM in the morning - so i don't think it is going to work as it was done less than
24 hours ago. Lets hope for good luck.

select Choose a different restore point

i just got a message back that it was successful but i still have to use the on-screen keyboard. i did disc E, now i am doing D

this sounds like your usb keyboard is not installed.

it types most of the letters to the screen. But just a few will not go to the screen. How does the USB keyboard get installed. But, it must be installed if it types the other letters to the screen

okay, what is the brand/model of the usb keyboard. Do you have the same symptoms with the built in keyboard?

Restore problems are not working
Correct - restore problems are not working.

Have you tried Microsoft FixIt?

i do. The keyboard is all part of the HP laptop which model number i gave you earlier. The second Keyboard i used was a
Logtech.

Have you tried Microsoft FixIt?

i have tried the Fixit by Microsoft.
is there a way i can go into the system and try to fix it??? i had this problem once before when my laptop was under warranty and
HP techs fixed it by directing me on what to do. i forgot what i was told but now they no longer support the Vista system and
i am hopeless to fix this problem

okay, go to device manager, then find the keyboard in the list, then right click on the keyboard and choose uninstall, then reboot the computer.

The USB keyboard is a Logtech - t has K200 written at the top right hand side. On the back t has written ###-##-####an below those numbers the following: - SYD44UK
How do i reboot the computer? Do you mean "restart"? i already have been to device mgr. but forget how to get there. Hope this works.

try this first please, unplug that keyboard and then try this please> remove the power cord, then the laptop battery, then press and hold the power button for 60 seconds, then reinsert the battery and power on then check the built in keyboard function.

the laptop is plugged into the wall - the battery is put away as i only use it at home. Do you want me to shut the laptop down??
will we still be able to be in contact if i shut it down?
i have restarted the laptop many times in the hopes that this would fix the problem. So, i think this might be what you are asking me to do.

yes, you can come back to this screen anytime.

Holding the power button with no power connected drains residual power that may be causing a glitch with the hardware settings.

i will hold the power button down for 60 seconds and this will shut the computer off an lets hope this works. Do i still need to unplug
it from the wall as i am shutting it down.

Yes, leave it unplugged while you press the power button for 60 seconds please.

Am unplugging and will depress the power button for 60 seconds now. if for some reason we get disconnected - my e mail address is***@******.***

Ok