I have a dell laptop that is running windows 10 and I cant…

Customer Question
I have a dell laptop...
I have a dell laptop that is running windows 10 and I cant get it to shut down in normal method. I have to pull battery and unplug power cord. I have had this machine to a local techincan and he thinks that all is well but can't get it to shut down through windows program.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Computer
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/28/2016
Tech Support Specialist: Richard, Computer Specialist replied 2 years ago
Richard, Computer Specialist

Hi there and welcome

Can you press the windows key + X and click on command prompt (admin)

A black window will open.

Type in it

sfc /scannow

press enter and when it has completed, type in

chkdsk /r

Press enter.

It will give a message "the type of the file system is NTFS cannot lock current drive.

chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts y/n" Say Y, press enter and restart the computer.

Please note, while this normally only takes 10 minutes to run, it can take at times number of hours if windows encounters many issues. If this is occurring it is critical to let this complete as it means you have corruption on the hard drive that it needs to fix. Even if it looks like the scan is not progressing, it is, please just let it run to completion. Windows will then start when it has.

Then test and tell me if it now shuts down correctly.

Let me know the results please.