I had the hard drive replaced on my laptop, when I tried to…

Customer Question
I had the hard drive...
I had the hard drive replaced on my laptop, when I tried to start it up I was typing everything I was prompted to, then I was asked to type the last 4 digits of my phone number "including the number 8 at the end" it said. since my phone number does not have a number 8 at the end, I thought something unusual was going on. then I got an email from Microsoft telling me that it had notice an Unusual sign in activity. Q. was I scamed into giving out some of my info?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Computer
1/26/2016
Tech Support Specialist: GeekGal, Computer Support Specialist replied 2 years ago
GeekGal
GeekGal, Computer Support Specialist

My name is*****'m a certified computer professional with 15 years of experience. It would be my pleasure to assist you with this. It does indeed sound as though something suspicious is going on. When your hard drive was replaced, did they also reinstall your operating system? If so, did they also install antivirus software? If not, and you have been on the internet without antivirus protection you are likely already infected with a virus and/or malware and spyware.

I have made a request via Additional Services. This is optional, and if you choose to do this, I can, with your permission, remote into your computer while you watch and check on all of these things (and deal with any problems that arise during them) for you. Or if you do not choose to take this service, we can continue troubleshooting here.