I am in a pickle. I have classic Cralisworks and Apple works…

Customer Question
Hi, I am...

Hi, I am in a pickle. I have classic Cralisworks and Apple works versions that I have writings on that I cannot open with my current version of Pages on my MAc. OS 10.11

Technician's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Clarisworks... In fact, the folders are there on my hard drive, but I don't even see the documents. They are not showing up at all. How could they disappear? I have writings from the 90's and early Y2k

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Computer
1/26/2016
Tech Support Specialist: John TF., Apple Consultant replied 2 years ago
John TF.
John TF., Apple Consultant

you cant open your old Clarisworks/Appleworks with Pages, unfortunately.

However, you can use a free word processing suite to at least open and read them (but not make edits). From there you can save them into a more modern format or copy/paste the text into Pages if you wish.

LibreOffice is available here: https://www.libreoffice.org/

Install LibreOffice, and then you can launch it.

choose Open (From the File menu) and then drag your ClarisWorks file into its Open dialog. The conversion is unlikely to be perfect, but should be usable.

If you're having trouble finding the documents, you can perform a search.

In the Finder, press Command-F, click On This Mac at the top left (to make you are searching the entire Mac), then use the drop-down menu to select Kind is Other. In the text field to the right of this, type in AppleWorks. Any Clarisworks or Appleworks documents should appear.

Libre office did not find the files. As I mentioned, the folders are there but there is no documents. They have disappeared with the higher OS systems. Search only comes up with the same thing. I need more help than this.

Hi again,

LibreOffice is used to open them but it won't find them for you.

If a search does not reveal the files then it may be best to restore the files from your backup. Upgrading OS X would not remove the files themselves unless you elected to erase the drive in the process but given that the folders are still there then this doesn't seem to be the case.

Are all the folders completely empty?

all folders are completely empty

Ok, that's unfortunate. Do you have a back up of these documents?

But the back up on the external hardribe shows all folders empty as well

Is this a Time Machine back up or was it made in another way?

Time machine saved to a gdrive

Ok, if you browse Time Machine to the earliest back up point does the folder remain empty?

Checking...

Thanks!

Time machine doesnt appear to go back before November of 2013. Its taking a long time to load...

And the folders in question remain empty up to that point?

Still waiting for that date to load...

Ok

I also have a Simple Tech Simple Drive
That was my original back up system before the Gdrive mobile or Time Machine, but the problem there is it connects through firewire that is not connectable through my Mac 27" and the CD that loaded the driver is broken.Still waiting for the Time machine to load 11/2013...

Do you have another OS X Mac to look at the Simple Tech drive? If not, the drive should work with the proper Firewire to Thunderbolt adapter. A driver disk would not be needed on newer versions of OS X.

Also, are you browsing the Time machine back up drive via the Finder directly? You might try using the normal Time Machine viewer to browse back ups of a specific folder more quickly.

Okay so while I was waiting I remebered my daughter had my old laptop - firewire compatible. I loaded the Simple Tech. All
my writings are there in tact!! Yahoo! Now,
how do I get them loaded onto
Icloud drive from here or in a useable format to convert properly?

Great!

It may be easiest to copy the files to a folder in iCLoud Drive via the web browser on the laptop.

In Safari on the laptop, go to https://www.icloud.com/

Sign in and open iCloud Drive

You can then create a new folder there and drag your documents into it.

Once complete, you can copy them from iCloud drive on your newer Mac.

Then use LibreOffice to open them.

Even better John, I found the files on my iMac desktop under the file name found on the Simple Tech drive. And, opened one doc from 1994 and it opened perfectly. When I had opened it in Simple Tech on the old laptop it opened in preview and there was some gobbley gook code messing with a clean format. I was looking at a laborious project. As it is, this took me all
day to figure out, but thanks to brain storming with you, the problem is resolved, I think.Just one more question... What is the best way to save documents in Libre Office for iCloud Drive?
I see .odt, .rtf, .text... Do I save in .rtf, re-open in text edit and then cut and paste to pages, and save to icloud drive?

Glad you found them but it's curious they didn't show up earlier during the search. However, the important thing is they still exist!

If you hope to eventually open them in Pages then your best bet is to save each document as an RTF or Microsoft Word file. You may have to experiment to see which provides the best conversion for your specific files. You should then be able to import them into Pages and save to iCloud Drive. You can also try doing a copy/paste of the text from LibreOffice directly into Pages.

Cut and paste worked best. Libre wasnt saving the .rtf to my desktop. No matter, this is what works and I am satisfied. Thank you John for your help! I am complete.
👍🏼

You are very welcome!

If the current question has been answered to your satisfaction, please remember to rate me accordingly when you get a moment.

Please feel free to request me again when you come back to ask another question. Insert “For John T. F. only” in your initial question and you can, also, submit new questions directly via the following page:

http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-macdruid/

Thank you John T.F. for your help in troubleshooting my problem! I rate you a Jedi in the realm of retrieving old Mac archives, not compatible with the modern day Apple Pages systems!

LOL Thanks again. If you have any other questions in the future just let me know.