How do I transfer applications from an HP Pavilion to a

Customer Question
Surface Pro 4? The surface...
how do I transfer applications from an HP Pavilion to a Surface Pro 4? The surface pro does not have a CD/RW on an ethernet port? I do have the app CD's for a couple of the programs I want to migrate but with no CD/RW capability I do not know how to transfer apps.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Computer
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/23/2016
Tech Support Specialist: Viet - Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist replied 2 years ago
Viet - Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist

I'm sorry about the issue. Do you have another computer that has a CD/DVD drive?

Do you have a USB drive?

What are the applications you need to install?

Please reply at the box below. Thank you.

There are two solutions:

Solution #1:

- You can get an external USB cd/dvd drive (or burner) from your local computer store, or online at the Amazon website for about $24:

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Portable-Writer-SE-208DB-TSBS/dp/B009QBIZ60/

Thank you.

Solution #2:

- If you have another computer that has a cd/dvd drive, then insert the disk to that computer

, then copy all the content of the disk to a folder on a USB drive (like an external USB hard drive, or a USB flash drive)

, then insert the USB drive to the surface pro 4 laptop, then you can install the software.

When you are available, please reply at the box below to continue troubleshooting. Thank you.

my source computer (HP dv7) has a CD/RW.
Not sure what a USB drive is. Both the source compute and target computer have USB ports.
Trying to install Sage 50 accounting, and Turbo tax.

You're welcome. A USB drive, such as an external USB hard drive, and a USB flash drive is a device where you can transfer folders / files to / from. Here is an image:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71q%2BjuAvbnL._SL1500_.jpg

Please let me know. Thank you.

You can get a USB 16GB flash drive from your local computer store, or online at the Amazon website for under $10:

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Cruzer-Frustration-Free-Packaging--SDCZ36-016G-AFFP/dp/B007JR5368/

- Of if you plan on using CD / DVD disks a lot, then I recommend to get an external USB cd/dvd drive (burner / writer.)

Please let me know. Thank you.

OK I Tried putting software CD in CD/RW on source computer and copied it to USB (drive) like the one you pictured.
But when I try to copy it from the USB drive in the target computer it will not let me do it.

Is there any error or message?

Did you do the following:

1. Insert cd disc and USB drive to the computer with the cd/dvd drive.

2. Create a new folder on the flash drive.

3. Open the cd/dvd drive / disc.

4. Copy all the folders and files from the disc to the new folder on the USB drive.

5. Insert flash drive to the Surface laptop.

6. Open new folder on the flash drive, then open the Setup file (or any program file) to install.

Please let me know. Thank you.

I have bought a Samsung USB ODD Model SE-208GB. But it will not load onto my Surface Pro 4. Have contacted Samsung for technical support.

When you plug in the Samsung USB cd / dvd SE-208GB drive to the surface laptop, what happens? Does the computer make a sound? Open File Explorer, then click on This PC, do you see the cd/dvd drive letter there or not?

Also, when you plug in a USB / flash drive to the surface laptop, are you able to open it or not?

Please let me know. Thank you.

When I plug in the Samsung the surface laptop beeps. But in Open File Explorer I can see the Samsung device there.When I use a USB Flash I can open it.

Insert an original CD disk, then open the Samsung device, then what happens?

Now the installation won't finish because Microsoft Net Framework 3.5 SP1 will not install on my Surface Pro 4. Very frustrating that I go to Microsoft downloads and it will not download.

Sorry, it looks like the issue is not with the Samsung cd/dvd drive. Can you try the new Microsoft .NET Framework (even it does not show for Windows 10, but try it anyway):

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=48130

Are you able to install any other software CD disk? Thank you.

When I try to download from the Microsoft site you gave me it says that Net Framework 4.6 or later is already installed on my computer. So why would an installation looking fro Framework 3.1 not work?
I am working with Sage 50 Accounting 2014 which Sage is no longer supporting. I can try but they are very unforgiving about non-supported versions.

Sorry about that. It looks like that Sage 50 Accounting 2014 version is not compatible with Windows 10; maybe you can ask Sage for a discount upgrade?

I'd like to check if your are able to play a music cd disk or a video / movie disc or if you are able to install another software disc.

If you still need help with anything else, please reply at the box below, so I can help further. Also, can you please take a moment to rate my service by clicking on the 5-star icon at the top, then click on Submit when it shows up. Thank you very much,