We have a Lexmark Laser Printer E260dn. After the first of…

Customer Question
Hi, we have a Lexmark...
Hi, we have a Lexmark Laser Printer E260dn. After the first of the year, we have been having problems setting it as the default printer. It would repel being set as the default printer. It is now set as the default printer, and we can't get it to print. We have checked the cables. I moved the cable to another port on the computer and it started working for a moment, then it quit. Sometimes it works, but mostly not. Do you think any recent Microsoft updates could have caused a problem? The computer is connected to a local PC and is using Windows 7. We are switching over to Server 2012 SR2, and have been successfully using the printer through the PC and server.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Computer
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/22/2016
Tech Support Specialist: Jason Jones, Computer Expert replied 2 years ago
Jason Jones, Computer Expert

I will be the person helping you today.

I can see that you may need a little bit of extra help.

May I ask if you still need help with this problem? If so, may I start a screen sharing session on your computer and help you resolve the problem?

Once the remote session begins, we will be able to communicate via a chat window on your computer.

Thank you,
Jason

I am not on the computer that needs help at this time. I would prefer phone. I think I would like to cancel everything at this time. I have to leave for an appointment. I will try back another time.

Thank you for the update. When you are at the computer and ready to begin, please post a message here.

No, that won't do either. I don't want to keep spending money on trying to get it to work. The printer is 7 years old. I think I will go another printer. Thanks anyway.

Thank you.

Tech Support Specialist: Dustin, Computer Support Specialist replied 2 years ago
Dustin, Computer Support Specialist

Its entirely possible that if you removed the printer driver from the devices and printers window, and reinstall the printer. That you could get this working again. Of course you would want to reinstall the printer from the lexmark page here, and not from the cd.

http://support.lexmark.com/index?docLocale=en_US&page=content&segType=updSegmentMICROSOFT&id=DR23447&locale=EN&userlocale=EN_US

Thats the software that the printer uses to communicate with the computer. It was released january 2016 so if you havent installed that newest version of the software, its worth trying to help you avoid the cost of a new printer.

Also, theres a firmware update which is for the internal software inside the printer. Thats worth updating too~ you can download it here. http://support.lexmark.com/index?docLocale=en_US&page=content&segType=firmwareSegmentOS&id=DR21436&locale=EN&userlocale=EN_US

Both of these steps will help the machine run better and quite possibly will fix the issue. if you would like, I could connect and do these steps for you. Even a low cost replacement for that printer will cost you 150$ and up for a comparable network ready mono laser printer. Such as this one http://amzn.to/1PnJsym

So if youd like to try and fix this, either try following the steps above and I will assist you, or let me know you would like me to connect and work on solving the problem for you on screen.

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a rating of excellent ( 5 stars ) selected and submitted below this answer or at the top right of the screen. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.