I just updated Windows to Windows 10 but my F drive (DVD)

Customer Question
does not work because MS...
I just updated Windows to Windows 10 but my F drive (DVD) does not work because MS said Sony did not update its drivers for the DVD for Windows 10...what do I do to get my DVD to work with Windows 10?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Computer
1/22/2016
Tech Support Specialist: Richard, Computer Specialist replied 2 years ago
Richard, Computer Specialist

Hi there and welcome

If Sony have confirmed they have not provided a driver for it, then you will only have two options as only Sony can write the source code to get the drive to work with windows 10.

You would either need to return to your previous version of windows, where the drive is working. To do this

open the Start menu and select Settings. Click the “Update & security” icon and select “Recovery.”

You should see a “Go back to Windows 7” or “Go back to Windows 8.1” option. Click the Get started button to get rid of your Windows 10 install and restore your previous Windows install. Which will then return you to the version where the drive was working.

Else you would need to purchase an external drive that does work with windows 10 such as this one

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Portable-External-SE-218CB-RSBS/dp/B00DBV28TG

But until Sony release a windows 10 driver, there is no way to get around this sorry.

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Else if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Tech Support Specialist: Shefin, Computer Support Specialist replied 2 years ago
Shefin, Computer Support Specialist

Hello!

I am Shefin and I would suggest you try following the below instructions before restoring the computer back to Windows 7.

Note : Please make sure that you are selecting correct registry items.

1. Press the Windows logo key + R key to open the Run dialog box.

2. Type in regedit and press Enter. It will open Registry Editor.

3. Type regedit in the Run dialog box, then press Enter. If you are prompted for an administrator password ***** for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow

4. In the navigation pane, locate and then click the following registry subkey: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi

5. Right-click atapi, point to New, then click Key.

6. Type Controller0, and then press Enter.

7. Right-click Controller0, point to New, and then click DWORD(32-bit) Value.

8. Type EnumDevice1, and then press Enter.

9. Right-click EnumDevice1, click Modify....

10. Type 1 in the Value data box, and then click OK.

11. Exit Registry Editor. Restart the computer.

If the issue persists, or you have any questions, please be back and let me know.

If you appreciate my service, please rate it EXCELLENT by clicking the EXCELLENT (5 Stars) and Submit. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business!

Thank you!
S H E F I N

Hi there,

Just to avoid any confusion brought on by the other expert, there are two options I have provided you, not just returning to windows 7, and as the drive is showing and not working, the registry change which is meant for when drives do not appear, does not apply here. The fact that Sony actually told you this when you called them confirms this.