I can not get into my gmail account from my desk top

Customer Question
Hi I can not get into...
Hi
I can not get into my gmail account from my desk top computer... It tells me that I am having a risk for hackers and it wil not allow me to go to the website to sign in. My phone APP is fine but I need to get into my desk top
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Computer
1/21/2016
Tech Support Specialist: GeekGal, Computer Support Specialist replied 2 years ago
GeekGal
GeekGal, Computer Support Specialist

Hello. My name is ***** ***** will be happy to help you with this. It sounds as though your desktop may have a virus, spyware or malware. I will provide with you detailed instructions for removal of these, or if you prefer I can offer a remote desktop session and perform these procedures for you while you watch. Can you tell me what version of Windows you are using on your Desktop please?

I am surprised to hear this as I have AVG protection. I am on Windows7

We can't be 100% sure but it has all the classic signs of a redirect virus. AVG is a wonderful program. I use it myself. Unfortunately, it doesn't protect from everything. Here's how you can check to see if you have any a virus, spyware or malware.

Downloading the tools that you need.
1) Download Ccleaner from Piriform
2) Download Malware Bytes and install. Be sure to choose the free 14 day
trial for now. I do think it is a wonderful tool for protecting us from malware and spyware that virus programs don't always catch but you can consider the purchase of it later.
3) Download Mcafee's Stinger from this link.
http://www.mcafee.com/us/downloads/freetools/
termsofuse.aspx?url=http://downloadcenter.mcafee.com/products/mcafee-avert/Stinger/stinger64-epo.zip

You can just download and run these to see what they tell you, but if they find anything you'll need to go a step further and reboot in safe mode and run them again, as things like this often hide in the memory and can't be fully removed without being in safe mode.

After downloading the programs:

1) Run MalwareBytes. It may be a lengthy process. Allow Malware Bytes to remove orquarantine anything that it finds. It has the potential to be a very lengthy process.

2) Run ccleaner. If you are asked to close Google Chrome please do so. When that is complete please click on the Applications Tab and repeat the process. Next, click on Registry, and then on Scan for issues. When the scan has completed, please click Fix Selected Issues. Click yes, then click save, and when it completes (this one will be quick) click on close.

3)Run stinger. Like Malware Bytes this one may be a bit lengthy.

If anything was found, please reboot your computer into safe mode and run these programs again. Finally, reboot your computer and hopefully everything will be clean and there will no viruses , spyware, or malware. If your scans did find things and the problems recur later, we may need to turn off system restore and repeat all of this again., as some viruses, malware and spyware can hide in System Restore files.

I would also suggest that you look any extensions that your browser may be using and disable or remove any that you aren't sure of it. Have you tried to access your gmail account from more than one browser? If the Google Chrome browser is the issue, then perhaps you can get to the site through Internet Explorer or Firefox. Please try these suggestions and let me know the results.

Please keep in mind as we work together that it often takes several steps and/or answers to solve a problem. So If my answers don’t work or if you are not satisfied, please don’t rate my answer as Bad or Poor Service, but please Reply back to me by clicking the “Continue Conversation” or “Reply” button and I will gladly continue to help. If I am unable to solve your problem, I will open it up to another expert who may be able to help. Your satisfaction is my top priority!