Byron
Byron, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  CCNA, A+, MCSE with over 12 years experience.
13274453

Windows 10 network discovery not working (direct install and

Customer Question

windows 10 network discovery not working (direct install and activation of windows 10) no upgrade from windows 7... activated
Category: Computer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
running Version 10.0.10586 (NOT an upgrade, virgin from ESD).
Expert:  Mr.Med replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to justanswer, My name is ***** ***** i will be assisting you today,

I'm sorry about the issue, Please right-click on start (windows logo), control panel, go to administration tools then click on services. find DNS client service and start it (you can also double click on it and choose automatic).

Do the same thing for Function Discovery Resource Publication / SSDP discovery / and UPnP Device Host services

Let me know the results please

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
DNS,UPNP, SSDP Fun. DIsc. all are active services and running. Been there and done that tpday from instructions on web researches...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
excuse Me, all are running MANUAL, Dns is automatic..
Expert:  Mr.Med replied 1 year ago.

Please make sure you select the automatic option and try again, if the problem persists please try this :

1. Open Network and Sharing Center by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking Network and Internet, and then clicking Network and Sharing Center.

2. If network discovery is off, click the arrow button to expand the section, click Turn on network discovery, and then click Apply. If you are prompted for an administrator password ***** confirmation, type the password ***** provide confirmation.

Hope it work

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
MORE. have created an account with my local LAN ID on all computers..
Expert:  Mr.Med replied 1 year ago.

have you tried my previous suggestion please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know that is low level request, but The other computers (3) were upgrades from Windows 7,etc. and they do connect on my local lan and using my work group name. Just this Generation 6 system is plaguing me. If TOO much trouble We can bail out. Leo
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Update: I can PING the other computers and they respond quickly. Have reduced the # ***** networked computers to 2 for this process problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Mr. Med, I have completed all requested tasks. and the answer is YES..Leo
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Mr. Med. I will now sign off.
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

Hi. My name is***** connect to the machine

remotely to troubleshoot? I'm trying to accept the phone call offer but

there was some issue with payment method. You may want to contact your

bank or financial institution.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I DO not allow strangers under any guise to remotely connect to my computers... just policy.
I see charges pending on my visa card for $31 an $5 plus one for another $20 for a phone inteview due to their Fraud policy.
All of the information from my 1st contact were responded that I had already done that, his suggestions while quite valid,
they did not apply to me. I am not at this time willing proceed with your organization's suggestions.
I will continue to swim upstream and hope that MicroSoft addresses these issues. My machines are a hobby and tend to
lean against the tide. It is risky environment... I am sorry to have bothered you and your fellow workers. Leo Zimmerman
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

Hi Leo. If you'd rather not do a remote session that's no problem. If that problem PC can't see other machines on the network

I'm pretty sure it can't find a network printer either. I believe your networking protocols are corrupted. Here's how to set

them straight:

Right-click the start menu button and select Command Prompt (Admin)

At the blinking prompt in the black window type the following commands, pressing Enter after each

netsh winsock reset
netsh int ipv4 reset
netsh int ipv6 reset
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /flushdns
netsh int ip reset netshlog.txt

Restart the machine after executing the last command and check

if the other computers are visible and if a network printer can be found.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Byron, I not a novice at this. 1. the Windows 10 machine (I5-6600K, clean build) ver is 1o.o/1058 and can use my networked printer and itself It can link to a I7-6700k and vice versa (Ver 10.0/1024 Upgrade from WIn 7), this computer can see and share files with an I5-3570 Ver 11099Rs1-160109). The latter computer can actually share files with computer 1 the I5-6600K. So my problem basically is trying to understand why the I5-6600K only sees itself after Net Work discovery in Win explorer.
Sorta of weird but appears to be isolated to the I5-600K which is virgin Windows 10 install. (using "sluid 3") for activation.
I have removed and reinstalled all the networking parts in the latter computer. Oh, the 6600k does see the win7 upgrade as a Media device, so it know the Win7 is out there.
Hope this was totaly confusing, I am guessing that a Clean Win10 install has a few problems, the internet is crowded with folks buying new machines with windows 10 having network problems.
I am to using PRIVATE local lan networks with no problems of note in the past. Windows 10 seems to be hung up and insisting that your machine is part of a DOMAIN. I just use named workgroups in the past.
Sorry to take so long to try and cover this issue of mine. Thanks for your interest. Leo
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Your series netsh commands have been tried. I will do them again however. Leo
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

Either the computer is part of a domain or it isn't. There's no middle ground. Right-click the start menu button and open

Control Panel

Open System

Open Advanced System Settings

Click the Computer Name tab at the top left.

Is the computer in a Domain or a Workgroup?

With Control Panel open, open Network and Sharing Center

Under "View your active networks"

does it say Public or Private?