Dear Just Answers, I installed Windows 10 over 7. Day 1

Customer Question
Dear Just Answers,I installed Windows...
Dear Just Answers,I installed Windows 10 over 7. Day 1 worked great. Day 2 when I mouse over the start button, no pop up menu. Same thing for cortina. After a month I contact Microsoft via chat. They did a remote control and set up an administrator account and some other things. I was told to restart and let it do updates. The next morning it's still updating, I have got a blue screen with the spinning dots but will go no further. I got a phone no. from Microsoft and spoke with their Tech Support. He was not able to fix it. I was instructed to take it to a Technician for repair. I'm willing to work with you or take it to Staples. Eddie
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Computer
1/18/2016
Tech Support Specialist: Jason Carlamere,
 replied 2 years ago
Jason Carlamere

Hello Eddie - My name is ***** ***** I will try to help you. I can walk you through a factory reset where we can reset your computer to the state it was when you purchased it. Is that something that you would like to do ?

As long as I do not loose my files. Yes. Thanks.
Waiting for further instructions.
 replied 2 years ago

Hello - A factory reset will unfortunately result in a lose of files. I will opt out to give another expert a chance to answer.

OK, I'll wait for response.
Tech Support Specialist: Bryan, Computer Support Specialist replied 2 years ago
Bryan, Computer Support Specialist

Hi, if this is a laptop, please do this:

Press and HOLD down the Power button for atleast 30 seconds (even after the screen has switched off), and then release the button.

Next, press the Power button one more time to turn the laptop back on - does it boot up all right now?

Please let me know. Thank you.

Desktop. HP Pavillion P6000

Okay; let me open this up to our other experts now. Thank you.

ok
Tech Support Specialist: Cody, Senior Systems Administrator replied 2 years ago
Cody
Cody, Senior Systems Administrator

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today.

Are you able to get to the login screen or does it get stuck on the blue screen with spinning dots everytime you power it off/on?

Both. It actually got as far as the login screen today for the first time since Microsoft remote accessed it. But the dots never stopped and I was unable to enter a password.

You can't enter the password ***** it says incorrect or you can't type at all?

The screen had my name on it, but I did not try to enter my password ***** the dots were still spinning and it had earlier given me a splash screen that said it was doing an "Automatic Repair".

Can you try turning it off/on until you can login?

Alternate option is to press F8 repeatedly on startup and then we can do a refresh of your computer, which will keep your files however all the programs will be removed and need to be reinstalled.

I get the HP screen with the "F1" options then black screen with small blue window, then black screen, then blue with dots.

Try F10 on startup, what are the options.

Then try F1 and what are the options here?

F10 is BIOS Setup utility. Main - Advanced - Power - Boot - Exit
F1 does nothing

Try F1 repeatedly again, I would expect it to take you to a different menu screen.

If it were predictable, I would let it go to the login screen, but I have cut it on and it goes to porer saver option before that happens if I don't keep moving the mouse.
It pays no attention to "F1". I am using a wireless keyboard, but the other "F Keys" seem to work on start-up.

hmmm. I think we are stuck with trying to get logged in if at all possible..... without booting from a CD and backing up files which could be hard to walk through.

if I remove "C" drive. Plug it into a kit that makes it an external hard drive and allows me to see the files. Move them over to another drive then put it back into the original pc. We could do a system reset?
I would end up with Windows 7 or 10?

We'll that would work in theory, however we would still have to get F1 or F8 to work to be able to restore the PC.

Unless you have recovery CDs that came with the computer.

I do not have a factory CD. Is that what's on the partitioned "D" drive?
OK so here is a new twist. I unplugged the pc few a moments. Restarted and it has given me a "Choose your keyboard layout" With several languages to select from. But neither the mouse or keyboard will work. And there is no power to them because my iphone stopped charging. Also F1 and F8 are not listed on the splash screen.

It appears you got to the recovery partition. Now if you go through these steps and it mentions your old files will be saved to C:\Windows.old

You can go ahead and reload Windows now; it'll be Windows 7 probably.

I need a more detailed step by step, on where we go from here.

Try plugging the keyboard mouse into diff ports to see if you can get them working then go continue.

Mouse dead. Keyboard dead. Not a hardware issue in my opinion.

It's probably because it's wireless and the generic drivers at this point can't handle the wireless devices. No wired keyboard around somewhere?

Mouse is plugged in to a usb port. Brought a wired keyboard from work. Neither one works on that screen. As soon as I hit restart, all work fine. It's pretty crazy.

does it come to that screen every boot up ?

1 in about 10....

hmm and the other time whats it do

Blue screen with dots spinning around. I live in Virginia. It's 9:37. I have been dealing with this for a month. I'm done for tonight. GN.

ok sounds good

Here.

hello, whats the status?

Medium blue screen, spinning dots, for about an hour.

If you can get to the login screen let me know, otherwise we would have to burn a DVD to get this thing restored.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Can't get to the log-in screen. Have restarted many times.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The HP Splash screen has these options.
F10 Setup
Esc Boot Menu
F12 Boot from LAN
F11 System Recovery
F9 Diagnostics
Tech Support Specialist: Cody, Senior Systems Administrator replied 1 year ago

I'm sorry I can't be of more help. It might be easier and better outcome if you had someone local look at it as they would then be able to recover your files then reinstall the operating system.

If you somehow get it to login, I could then be more of help and get this resolved.

Cody
Cody
Cody, Senior Systems Administrator