Imaging devices are gone from my laptop, can not find them i…

Customer Question
Imaging devices are gone...

Imaging devices are gone from my laptop, can not find them i device manager and my integrated webcam does not work. It seems that it vanished from my computer and I can not make Skype video calls. I have Windows 10

Technician's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Today I tried to make video call an skype and it did not work. I looked for web cam on my system and it was not there. I went to device manager and and it was not there either. It is gone. I do not now how to detect it, how to reinstall it

Technician's Assistant: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $36) to post your type of question to Computer Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?

Yes, I am willing to wait. I will pay if you are able to solve the issue. If not - I will not pay. Is it OK?

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Computer
1/17/2016
Tech Support Specialist: Robert M., Consultant replied 2 years ago
Robert M., Consultant

try this first. if it worked recently than a system restore to a time it was working might fix it very easily. If not than we can investigate further

System restore instructions - windows 7 8 10

hold the windows logo key and hit R
in the box that appears type

rstrui.exe

hit enter

select restore to an earlier date.

Under the "suggested restore" which is usually not old enough to help is a link for "OTHER RESTORE POINTS"
click that if the suggested ones are not BEFORE THE PROBLEM STARTED

choose a date from the calendar that is BEFORE you experienced the problem

hit ok / restore

the computer will start to shut down

a restoring settings box will appear with a status bar

when it finishes your computer will restart with the same settings it had on the date you restored to. your data will not be affected.

It is not perfect. But it fixes a lot of things.

I am sorry, it was the first thing tried that before I contacted you. It did not work that is why I asked for help
Maybe it can be a hint what' wrong. Since I installed Windows 10 I have problems and W10 does not provide sufficient support. When I run System Restore I get the message "System restore failed scanning the file system on the drive C:/ The drive might be corrupt. You might want to retry System restore after running chkdsk /R on this disk. An unspecified error occurred during System restore (0x81000204) I am scanning C:/ but it takes long time and it is not finished yet. I have installed copupel of weeks ago CC Cleaners as it was said that it is one of few programs that is adjusted to Windows 10. I run it today but it did not help. I am very disappointed with W10 as, I think, it was released before it was ready for use.
While scanning C:/ I got the message : Preliminary scan results show that malicious or potentially unwanted software might exist on your system. You can review detected items when the scan has completed. The full scan is still running. I just wonder why CC Cleaner did not detect and did not fix the issue.
I saw it now that in provided selection you do not list Windows 10. So, I you able to deal with W10?

yes i can deal with windows 10. your computer might not be able to it sounds like

are you running the chkdsk ?

you usually have to do that from a safe mode command prompt to get it to work correctly and yes if you do the full scan it will take a long time

I finished. It showed that it was infected with Win32/PennyBelLinkury I removed it but the problem with web cam still exists. I have Windows 10 for few month now and did not have problem with imaging devices. It started now. Complaining about W10 I meant that the adequate service is not provided to uses. No info for example how to deal with sound, etc. I had to find myself. Anyhow, what do you propose I do now.

win32/pennybelllinkury is just advertisng for microsoft. i dont think that it would cause the problems you are having

I put up an offer to do a remote session so i can look at it myself and see what is going on.

i would suggest that you accept that and i can get you my phone number and a link so that i can log in remotely and look at it with you

If we connect will you fix the problem? Because as of now I do not have any advice that is helping. It started with $5 charge then, then $43, now $34. So, where will it end? It seems to be escalating, but almost whole day is gone and I am at the same place when I started. Everybody starts with System Restore and I did it before I contacted your line. As of now it does not look like you know where you are going. Sorry

i know where i am going but its a lot easier to look at it than to go back and forth with you 20 times and hope that you can recognize what i would be looking for. the system restore is the only thing that i told you to try. and it failed to operate if it had it might have fixed the problem. You decided to do the chkdsk and then go searching for a virus.

what you want to look at is whether there are any other errors in the device manager such as items that have a ? or ! next to them which might be the unrecognized devices you are looking for. You can also try their startup repair and check for services not running like the plug and play for instance.

the offer is guaranteed. If you want to take it thats great. If you don't i can opt out or you can ask for a refund now.

I checked the device manager for ? and ! for unrecognizable devices few hours ago as I tried to figure out the problem. If I did not try options that I looked for on the internet I would have not contacted your services. Whole day lost and I still do not have webcam. I think I will opt out and ask for refund now. Thank you for trying, sorry it did not work.

i never got a chance to try.

well than where do you think that those devices are ?

is the system not finding them ? are they somewhere else in the device manager ?

have they been disabled ?

where are they ?

I do not know where they are. I checked many times device manager, one by one, expanded every single one and nothing. In Universal Serial Bus Controller everything is fine, not an arrow, not yellow exclamation, nothing. Checked properties - it said that everything is fine.

well that is what i would be asking myself when i logged in and tried to fix it. Up to you.

Finally, I do not know if I sent this message or not because I got interrupted . I got it!. It was so silly that I never thought about it! Shortcut on the key board - probably my cat sleeping on keyboard activated it. On my MSI it was Fn + F6 - this combination disabled imaging devices. The simplest answer seems sometime to be the most difficult one to find. And I was looking for God knows what and where, and here - one click and webcam is back in my device manager. Next time if you have somebody with similar problem as about the shortcuts first. People with cats and children might have the same issue. But sorry:( I will have to ask for the refund. For me the whole Sunday wasted but at least I have my webcam back:)

cats will do that.

you can email***@******.*** for a refund

Thank you for trying:)

well i hope you will give me a good rating for it

you can email***@******.*** for a refund either way