Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

Just purchased two Lenova Thinkpads. E550 Onboard HD 5500

Customer Question

Hello, Just purchased two Lenova Thinkpads. E550 Onboard HD 5500 Graphics with a dedicated Radeon Card. Cannot switch to the AMD GPU. Any ideas? No beta drivers installed. Straigt out of the box. Updated drivers on one. No joy.
Category: Computer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still waiting.
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

Hi. It looks like more a situation of telling a program which gpu to use.

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/ht071102

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/ht078706

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nope! Tried that. No good.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should be Switchable Graphics.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yeah. With these updates from Lenova. Obviously their problem. Two machines. One with Lenova upgrades. one W/O. At least one will allow Windows Security Updates. The one that allows AMD from the get go! NO Windows Updates. After Sixteen (Yes 16) years of builds and installs. Back to rigs & phones!!! Lenova Sucks!!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the quick answer after getting my Credit Card numer. If you can turn this around, I will etract in a big way!!
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

So, you're telling me that Windows Update isn't working on one of the laptops?

I'm not sure how that relates to the NVIDIA Control Panel.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
NO. I never brought up Windows Updates, and I really don't see how you came to that conclusion.The help I was given was of no help. I stated that I neede the info ASAP, or no deal! No I will help my friend via phone or remote.I did figure it out on my own with the second laptop - Before upgrading to the latest driver on AMD's website. Not a beta driver, but WHQL. By doing so, it renders the ********** inefective.No. I may use this service in the future - dependant on review of course. But....I will NOT pay for what was not deliver. Even if you had given me the right answer now, it would be too late.Cheers.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not paying another 20 bucks to discuss the "Problem" of switchable graphics via phone. This had nothing to do with Windows, or their updates. (Although the machines did have varying degrees of "Windows Updates". It was a recommended Driver update for the dedicated AMD Radeon GPU that caused the problem. As far as being program specific - this can be the case with IE vs. another, (Like being locked in or out) only if you have an option that is functional. As initially stated after the first answer(s), No Joy. I figured it out on my own using another laptop.
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.