Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

I'm having a problem with a built-in hdd password that i

Customer Question

i'm having a problem with a built-in hdd password ***** i can't seem to delete. i tried to reboot my computer to factory settings;but now i'm stuck with two passwords that i can't get rid of. they show up before the sign-in. what can i do?
Category: Computer
Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. My name is***** will be my pleasure to assist you with this. This can be done, but it is a bit complicated. I will provide step by step instructions, in the hopes that it will help.

Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 year ago.

Please keep in mind as we work together that it often takes more several steps and/or answers to solve a problem. So If my answers don’t work or if you are not satisfied, please don’t Rate my answer as Bad or Poor Service, but please Reply back to me by clicking the “Continue Conversation” or “Reply” button and I will gladly continue to help. Remember, only Rate answer after you are 100% Satisfied. Please do not rate an answer, if you are not satisfied. If I am unable to solve your problem, I will open it up to another expert who may be able to help. Your satisfaction is my top priority!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
will i have to pay for this session now or is this a free trial?
Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 year ago.

I'm afraid that I am unable to answer that. I am independent contractor for JustAnswer.com and I do not have access to billing information.

Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 year ago.

May I ask, do you have data on the hard drive that you need to keep? The process for removing the hard drive password ***** partitioning and formatting, meaning that you will lose all data on the drive. Is that acceptable?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
well, i have files. i don't know much about computers, but there are files--like certain pictures--that i dont want to lose.
Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 year ago.

Ok, I understand. So the first step should be to copy all of those files somewhere else. It's always a good idea to have copies of your important files in more than one place anyway. There are a number of free cloud based storage options available to you. Google Drive, Microsoft One Drive, and DropBox are a few that come to mind. They offer a limited amount of storage free and allow you to purchase more if needed. You can click on the links each for more information and for instructions on copying over your files.

Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 year ago.

May I ask what type of computer you have? There may possibly be a way to remove the password ***** affecting the contents of the drive.

Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 year ago.

Are you still with me?

Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 year ago.

I do apologize but i need to step away from the computer for a bit so I am going to "opt-out" and open your question up to other experts. Have a very pleasant day!

Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is Michael. I will be helping you with your question today.

If you have already done a complete recovery, then you may have already deleted any files on the computer.

If you think these are "BIOS" passwords - like a password ***** comes up as soon as you boot up the computer, but before Windows even starts booting, we may have to do something special to clear those. If that's the case, we will need the exact model number of the computer and exactly what you are seeing on your screen (including any error code that it is giving you).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately, I've turned this problem over to another company-a Toshiba based one-hoping that I wouldn't have to pay for the service, but that's not the case. I want to thank all of you for your patience and I apologize for any inconvenience.