Richard, Computer Specialist
Experience:  Over 20 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

I have a Lenovo a730 28 inch all in one. with windows 10

Customer Question

I have a Lenovo a730 28 inch all in one. with windows 10 previously windows 8. I think iupgraded first to windows 8.1. . its about a year and half old. started having this problem after about 6 months but probably when windows 8.1 upgraded
screen goes black when left on for a ffew hours. I have monitor set to go off after 10 minutes and it will wake up if I try within an hour or so but any extended time, it will not wake up. I don't have it set to go to sleep only to turn off monitor. Lenovo has tried everything short of formatting the hard drive and reinstalling windows 10. I don't think that is needed. also huge pain in the butt to reload everything. I can see the computer is still on from the activity lights but no screen. I'm thinking maybe it is a driver or display adapter issure probably software driver or something but don't know how to fix. might even be a seting in cmos but I don't see anything out of order there.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Hi there and welcome

This is generally an issue with hard disk corruption, so I would like you to do the following please

Press the windows key + X and click on command prompt (admin)

A black window will open.

Type in it

sfc /scannow

press enter and when it has completed, type in

chkdsk /r

Press enter.

It will give a message "the type of the file system is NTFS cannot lock current drive.

chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts y/n" Say Y, press enter and restart the computer.

Please note, while this normally only takes 10 minutes to run, it can take at times number of hours if windows encounters many issues. If this is occurring it is critical to let this complete as it means you have corruption on the hard drive that it needs to fix. Even if it looks like the scan is not progressing, it is, please just let it run to completion. Windows will then start when it has.

Then tell me if you still have the issue.

I can also do these steps for you, and have made a request via Additional Services. This is optional, and if you choose to do this, I can, with your permission, remote into your computer while you watch and do all these steps (and deal with any problems that arise during them) for you. Or if you do not choose to take this service, we can continue here. This is no problem at all. Just let me know please.

Else let me know the results please.