I can not log into windows. I have tried every password I

Customer Question
I can not log into...
I can not log into windows. I have tried every password ***** have ever used. I changed my password ***** microsoft on another computer in my network and that won't work either. I was using a pin before but now it won't give me a choice. Can not get in my computer to do anything.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Computer
1/3/2016
Tech Support Specialist: GeekGal, Computer Support Specialist replied 2 years ago
GeekGal
GeekGal, Computer Support Specialist

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** GeekGirl :). Thank you very much for giving us an opportunity to help you. Please keep in mind as we work together that it often takes more several steps and/or answers to solve a problem. So If my answers don’t work or if you are not satisfied, please don’t Rate my answer as Bad or Poor Service, but please Reply back to me by clicking the “Continue Conversation” or “Reply” button and I will gladly continue to help. Remember, only Rate answer after you are 100% Satisfied. Please do not rate an answer, if you are not satisfied. If I am unable to solve your problem, I will open it up to another expert who may be able to help. Your satisfaction is out top priority!

I need to ask a few questions so that I can best help you. What version of Windows do you have? Do you log in using an email address as your user name?

windows 10. Email address

Ok. Great! Thank you for that information. This is a fairly common problem and I can guide step by step through regaining access to your account.

Let's begin by going to this link:

https://account.live.com/password/reset

Make the appropriate selection. If you have no idea what your password ***** be, choose I forgot my password. If you think you know your password ***** it isn’t allowing you to sign in, choose that one. Click next.

On the next page enter the email address that you are trying to gain access to. Also enter the “CAPTCHA” that is displayed on the page. Occasionally they can be difficult to read. If this is the case, click on the audio button to have the computer read it aloud to you. After entering it click next. If you have entered the CAPTCHA incorrectly you will be given the opportunity to try again. When it has been entered correctly, please click next.

On the next page you can choose to have a code sent to the phone associated with your account or to the recovery email associated with your account. If you no longer have access to the phone or to the recovery email, click on “I don’t have any of these”. This will give you the opportunity to answer a few questions and provide a few details about how you used this email account in the past. You will be asked things like the email address of people that you emailed from the account, the subject of some of the emails that you may have sent, etc. This is to establish that you are indeed the rightful owner of the account. If you can provide enough details, they will be able to give you access to the account. Simply follow their instructions and answer the questions to the best of your ability.

If this solves your problem and you are satisfied with my answer, please be kind and take a moment to rate me so I will be paid for my time. If you are not satisfied, please do not issue a rating until you have provided me with an opportunity to address any remaining questions or issues. Your complete satisfaction is my goal!

I am on my desktop with you. My problem is with my laptop. I can not get passed the login window. will not accept any passwords.

Thank you for that information. What version of windows are you running? Are you running the same version on both computers? Are you using the same version on both the desktop and the laptop?

I see from the notes that you are using Windows 10? What exactly does it tell you when you try to login to the laptop? Does it by any chance tell you that you can't log-in right now because the computer is offline? If the laptop is not connected to the internet, then the new password ***** not work. Also, just to be sure that there are no problems and that we don't need to reset the password, please go to https://login.live.com to ensure that you can successfully login with that user name and password.

I can log in with desktop. Laptop said wrong password. There is a button in lower right corner that said no internet connection. That might be problem! But it won't allow me to do anything.

Thank you. That clarifies a lot. Windows 10 will uses the same password ***** of the computer that you log in to. However, it checks your Microsoft account online for your most recent password. Sometimes, it offers you the option of logging in with the last known password. If it does and you can remember the password ***** you used the last time that you logged into the laptop, you may be able to get in to troubleshoot the internet connection. If you do not remember or if the option is not offered, we will need to try other ways to get your laptop online.

Does your laptop have an ethernet plug? Do you have an ethernet cord that you can plug directly from the back of your wifi router or modem into the laptop?

I was using a pin but it wont let me use it. We need other options to get on line

Do you have the ability to connect the laptop to an ethernet cable? Exactly what brand and model is the laptop? If i know this I can better assist you. Certain brands have a switch somewhere on the laptop that turns the wifi on and off. It is possible that it could have accidentally been turned off

It's HP Pavilion. I have the cable hooked up but it still tells me no connection available.

Thank you for that information, Please give me a moment to research. Do you know what series it is? Example 14T, 15T, 11T or possibly a g series, etc?

If you don't know you can look on the bottom of the laptop for a product type or any other information that you can find. This will allow me to give you instructions specific to your laptop. Generically speaking, many HP laptop allow you turn wifi on and off using the F12 key.

Another thing that we can do is to look at the network port on the laptop . Is it orange, or is it green?

no info on bottom. i dont see any colors on any port

OK. This is apparently a known issue after certain updates. I found the information below, unfortunately, it will not help us if we can't get in to Windows at all. In any case, here's what I found.

****************************************************

To repair your PIN & picture password:

1. Open File Explorer and browse to this location:

C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Local\Microsoft\NGC

1. Delete everything within that folder
  2. Go to Settings-> Accounts->Sign-in Options
  3. Click Add a PIN again and set your PIN
  4. PIN sign in should work going forward

Is it possible that you can login in locally as an administrator to troubleshoot the internet connection?

what do you mean by locally

If you can login with the admin account, you do not have to be connected to the internet to access your computer for troubleshooting purposes.

i can not get passed the login window to do anything

I'm terribly sorry, but I am running out of ideas. Please give me a moment to check one more thing.

will the on button with f-11 or f-12 help?

Is it possible that you could take a photo of the laptop so I can determine what model it is and and a photo of the login screen using your cell phone and attach them to this Q/A using the paperclip icon?

It is very possible that it might. try Pressing the FN key and the F12 at the same time and see what happens. The fact that there are no lights at all near the network port would seem to indicate that you do have a wired connection. That could be due to be plugged into the wrong port, using a bad ethernet cable, or not being fully snapped in.

Could you possibly unplugging the known good ethernet cord from the back of your desktop and plugging it into the ether net port on your laptop to see if anything changes?I realize that you will lose connection on desktop briefly while you do this but I will be here when you get back.

my desktop is wireless--everything is wireless

Ahhh, so you aren't plugged in with an ethernet cable. Generally speaking there are ports on the back of your wifi router. If there is also a port on your laptop you could potentially hook to internet with an ethernet cable until we resolve the internet issue. Again, I could be much more helpful if I knew the specific model of the laptop.

sry found it but no change

Ok. I am very sorry that we have been unable to resolve this. I will opt out and open up your question to other experts in the hopes that someone can help you. Without a photo of login screen and photos of laptop, or more information on the exact model, there is nothing more that I can do.

Would it be satisfactory to you for me to opt out and open the question to other experts?

i have a cable hooked to the laptop i took the pics but need help sending to you

Would you like for me to give you a call?

No thank you I don't want to pay the extra cost
I will try other avenues. Thank you for your time.

Ok. I will opt out now. I don't know of any other way to help. Thank you for the opportunity to try to assist you. We are not allowed to exchange personal information, so the only way to get to talk to you would be for you to accept. Then your phone # ***** display and I would be allowed to call you.

You are very welcome. I hope that you will give us the opportnity to assist you in the future. Have a wonderful afternoon!

Tech Support Specialist: Viet - Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist replied 2 years ago
Viet - Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist

I'm sorry about the issue. I'm another computer tech; I can help you with this.
Is this a new HP laptop? Or was it working previously? Was there any change recently to your laptop that may have caused this issue?
At the HP laptop's password ***** login's screen, if you click on the network / wireless icon (usually at the bottom right), then does it let you select / connect to your wi-fi/wireless network name?
Is it okay to reset the computer fresh, so you can re-set it up fresh, like brand-new, with a new password ***** want?
Please reply at the box below. Thank you.