Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

I made up a photographic file with various pics in Windows 8

Customer Question

I made up a photographic file with various pics in Windows 8 on and somehow the office button vanished so I could not save the results. Copied the file onto a USB stick and plugged this into my laptop which has Windows 10, and when I clicked the file button, again 'Open New Window' 'Open Command Prompt' etc came up in the window but no 'Save' of 'Save as'
With all picture files in both Windows 8 and 10, I seem to have lost the facility to save. All folders now have a black square in 'Read Only' when I go into properties and although it can be removed by clicking. If I go into properties again, it's still there.
Help please
Category: Computer
Expert:  Quiksilver07070 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for choosing JUSTANSWER.com

.

Im not sure i am able to follow what exactly you are having trouble with.

.

Is there anyway you could take some screen shots and upload them here to this chat?

.

Or maybe you could explain what you mean by "made up a photographic file"

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, sorry for confusion I'll start with my desktop with Windows 8. Made up a folder with pics from my camera and on completion saved it as normal. Over a couple of days, added more pic's and saved it as usual using the 'Office button' However having miss-keyed or something, the 'Office Button' on top left of screen does not come up with any of the picture folders and 'File' tab does not offer the save facility. How do I restore the "office Button' please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
To clarify, when on any folder in picture library, I can not bring up the Office Button when I take the arrow to the top left corner of the screen. Everything is normal with such as Word end Excel when the button is available.

Thank you very much for the clarification.

.

okay. so when you are in the folder window, try hitting the 'Alt' key, and it might reveal the office button?

.

If that doesnt work....i think i would have to actually SEE what is going on....would you be willing to have a REMOTE SESSION with me, so i can connect and control your computer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi again, tried the ALT key and at the FILE tab (top left) appears three buttons, Home, Share, View & Manage.If I go to the file key itself, a small window appears with 6 choice lines, Open New Window, Open Command Prompt, Open Window Power Shell, Delete History, Help and Close. Weird, can't find any way to save.Failing this, tied up for the rest of the day and get back to you tomorrow.Cheers,Fraser.

I had hoped it would reveal the menu, but have you tried the keyboard save command?

.

While holding the Ctrl button hit the letter 'S' key, and a Save prompt should appear.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tried Ctrl S and nothing happened. It's as if SAVE is locked out on Picture folders in the Library.

Well again, i think i would need to see whats actually happening....so a remote session would be the best way to do this....you up for it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tomorrow okay?

It Sure is.

.

Just drop a line in here when your ready. And it will light up my inbox.

.

Talk to you tomoro!

Are you still interested in getting this resolved?

.

its perfectly okay, if you dont want to continue......im just following up with you is all.

.

Please take a moment to let me know.

.

Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Apologies for the delay in responding, busy time with family being New Years.
My son managed to resolve my problem somehow so I'm quite happy now.Happy New Year and many thanks for your input.Fraser