IT Miro, Computer Scientist
Experience:  Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology, Microsoft Certified Professional
30721786

My Windows 10 start button seems to have quit working. How

Customer Question

My Windows 10 start button seems to have quit working. How do I get it working again?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Satchi replied 1 year ago.

​Hi ,

Welcome to justanswer

1. Right-click at Start and click RUN
  2. type SERVICES.MSC and press the enter key
  3. right click on APPLICATION IDENTITY and select START

Let me know how it goes .

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It didn't work, what now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I followed your instructions, then rebooted and it didn't work
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had to verify your transaction with my credit card company...everything should be a go.
Expert:  Satchi replied 1 year ago.

Ok

I am running out of ideas . I will open this question to other experts to help you more.

Good luck

Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Hello! My name is*****

Please tell me if the start button worked before, or it never worked.

Thanks,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it worked before up until December 25
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the information!

The problem with the non-functional start menu button usually occurs right after upgrading to Windows 10. Microsoft issued an update that solves that problem, so check if installing new updates will help.

Here are the instructions to manually check for new updates:

1. Click inside the search box located in the bottom left corner, and type settings

2. Click on the first search result at the top – Settings

3. When the Settings window opens, click on the last option - Update & security

4. Click on Windows Update. Windows should then look for new updates and automatically start downloading them. If that doesn't happen, click on the"Retry" or "Check for updates" button

5. Wait until all the updates have been installed

6. After that, restart the computer and check if the start menu problem has been fixed

In case you don't see the search box or the Settings window, do the following:

Click on the current time and date - located in the bottom right corner and then click on "Date and time settings". The Settings window will appear with several options for time and date. Once you see it, just click on the back arrow located in the upper left corner to go back to the main Settings menu. From there, you can click on Update & security in order to get to the Windows Update.

Let me know the results.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There were no new windows updates. I tried your solution...with the same results...nada
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

In that case, you should be able to solve the problem by using the Windows PowerShell. Here are the instructions:

1. Click inside the search box and type powershell

The first search result should be Windows PowerShell. Right-click it and select Run as administrator. Confirm by clicking Yes if asked to continue. Another way to start the Windows PowerShell is to press the Windows logo key and R key at the same time to bring up the Run box. There type powershell and press Enter.

2. The blue window will appear. It is similar to the standard Command Prompt. You will need to run this command there:

Get-AppXPackage-AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register"$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

To do that, select the entire command with the mouse and copy it. To paste it, first click anywhere inside the PowerShell window, and then press the Ctrl and V keys on the keyboard at the same time. That is the shortcut for Paste.

3. You should then see the command pasted, so just press Enter to execute it

4. The "Deployment operation progress" will then be displayed. If not, just press Enter again, or make sure that you have copied and pasted the command correctly

5. Wait until the operation has been finished. When done, you will see some text in red and the PS C:\Windows\system32> prompt below. That is how it should look like

6. You can then restart the computer and check if the start menu is fully working

However, if it is still the same, it means that the current user account is corrupted and you will need to create a new user account. Windows start menu button will work correctly there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Got an error message in the powershell: Get-APPXPackage-AllUsers: is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script File, or operable program
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

There should be a space after Get-AppXPackage and before -AllUsers

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (:) [Get-AppxPackage], UnauthorizedAccessException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : System.UnauthorizedAccessException,Microsoft.Windows.Appx.PackageManager.Commands.GetApp
xPackageCommand
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this is too frustrating....its not a simple fix and I'm not a GEEK...THANKS FOR YOUR TIME
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

The instructions are here as well:

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/start-menu-does-not-open-windows-10

If you cannot follow them, just go ahead and create a new user account and continue using the new account.

Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Here is how to create a new user account in Windows 10:

1. Click on the current time and date - located in the bottom right corner and then click on "Date and time settings". The Settings window will appear with several options for time and date. Once you see it, just click on the back arrow located in the upper left corner to go back to the main Settings menu.

2. From there, click on Accounts

3. Click on Family & other users

4. Click on + Add someone else to this PC

5. When a new window opens, click on I don't have this person's sign-in information located at the bottom

6. On the next screen, click on Adda user without a Microsoft account

7. You will then be able to type a name of the new account and password (optional)

8. Click Next to create the account

9. Once the account has been created, it will appear under "Other users"

By default, a new account will be a standard user (no administrative privileges). If you want to change that, you can click on its name (under Other users) and then click on Change account type. Click on the drop-down box (where it says Standard User) and select Administrator, and click OK to confirm.

Your new account will then be ready to be used, so log out of your current account and log in to the newly created account. You can simply restart the computer and you will be taken to the logon screen where you can choose your newly created account. Start menu will work correctly there, so you can continue using that new user account.

Regards,