I am locked out of my Desktop computer. I lost my password

Customer Question
I am locked out of...
I am locked out of my Desktop computer. I lost my password ***** I changed it. I downloaded the new windows 10. I used my local account to log on to the computer and it is not associated with a Microsoft account. I have an HP Pavilion p6-2117C PC. I am the administrator. Others can log on but they do not have administrator rights. What should I do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Computer
12/23/2015
Tech Support Specialist: Maurice, Computer Support Specialist replied 1 year ago
Maurice
Maurice, Computer Support Specialist

hello kathryn, given that you can log on using the local account, you can at least access the computer. i would suggest you to reset your microsoft account password ***** this link - https://account.live.com/resetpassword.aspx

after that, hopefully, you should be able to log on using your microsoft account again. let me know if you need more help. all the best, maurice

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I can not log on using the local account, I forgot the password.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am the administrator account.

i have now re-read your original question, sorry for the misunderstanding. there are few utilities which should let you reset the local admin password, i assume you have access to another computer. you'll also need a usb stick, do you have one? thanks, maurice

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have access to another computer and a USB Stick.

Kathryn, i'm not sure how technical you are, have a look at those step by step instructions (you can skip the ms live account part), do you think you could follow and try them? if too complicated, we'll try different route. http://www.howtogeek.com/222262/how-to-reset-your-forgotten-password-in-windows-10/

maurice

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK, I am an administrator on the local account, I am not an administrator on Windows 10.

windows 10 does also have local accounts, not just a microsoft ones. if you have access to the computer as local admin, then you are ok. if you need to reset the 'online' password ***** windows 10, it is just the case of reseting it via the initial link - https://account.live.com/resetpassword.aspx

regards, maurice

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The administrator account that windows 10 created is my grandsons'. He does not have administrator rights on the local account. Are you still there?

i see. do you (not your grandson) has local admin account on the computer? if not, using the steps in my second link, you should be able to CREATE a new local admin account, which will from then on allow you to do the rest.

http://www.howtogeek.com/222262/how-to-reset-your-forgotten-password-in-windows-10/

regards, maurice

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I cant install or do anything with my computer that would allow me to create or add another account because of how my computer is setup with my and only my account (administrator) was the only link to accessing or downloading anything. Even when I tried to do the command prompt or the reset feature in the restart menu that was unsuccessful because it requires my password ***** the admin account first.

you'll need to create a bootable usb stick (windows 10 installation media) on another computer, then you'll need to start the 'broken' computer from this usb stick and follow the steps in the link. this will allow you to create a new admin account with new password ***** needing any passwords to do so. the steps provided on the link are very good and very detailed, only help you might need is how to create a windows 10 bootable usb stick - if needed, i'll help you with that. regards, maurice

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok can you please help with that please

of course. on the 'other' computer, download the tool from here - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=616936

then, run it, and when prompted, select 'create installation media for another pc' and follow the prompts. make sure you have blank usb key of at least 8gb in capacity, also make sure you copy everything you want to keep off it beforehand as the procedure will delete the existing content. when all done, plug this into the 'broken' computer and follow the steps in the previous link - http://www.howtogeek.com/222262/how-to-reset-your-forgotten-password-in-windows-10/

let me know how it goes, regards, maurice

Maurice
Maurice
Maurice, Computer Support Specialist