Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30 yrs. in NYC computer industry working with PC and networks, banks, brokerage, legal etc.
23372949

I have a Rebel XTI and it is not compatible with Windows 7.

Customer Question

I have a Rebel XTI and it is not compatible with Windows 7. I have followed the directions offered in the forums but as I go down through the menu there is no "communication" choice under the "wrench, hammer,2" tab as described for the Rebel XT.
What do I do?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Steve Gardner replied 1 year ago.

Hello there and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. I am an engineer with over 30 years of electrical and electronic training, repair and installation experience. I will try and answer your question accurately and precisely so that we can get you on your way.

I need to gather some more information from you in order to help.

What are you attempting to do? Transfer image files from the camera to your computer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That is correct.

Have you tried putting the card from the camera into the card slot in your computer or laptop?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I haven't. Not sure how to do that, besides I'd prefer to use the EOS program that came with the camera. I don't understand why it won't work. I had an earlier version of Win 7 that it worked on until the computer died and I upgraded the motherboard and had win 7 put back on it.

Does your computer have a card slot? You can still use the EOS program.

Also, did not realize that you had to reload Windows. Did you also reload the EOS Utility that came on the CD with the camera?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I haven't found a card slot on this particular machine. Windows was reloaded by my computer tech and I found the EOS disk that came with the camera and loaded it onto the machine before I contacted "justanswer.com" last night.

Ok, when you plug in the camera, does the computer respond in any way? DO you see any action down in the taskbar - bottom right that may indicate that the computer and camera are communicating?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The computer autoplay screen comes up and it identifies the camera and gives me 4 options, one of which is the Canon EOS utility program. But, when I click on it, it just plays stupid and does nothing.

Ok. This sounds like more of a computer issue than a camera one, and we have some great computer techs.

Hold on and I will opt out of the question and then have it transferred.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Appreciate the help Steve. I feel better about your service than I did last night. Best regards.
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

It should not need a driver or software to connect that camera to windows 7

you may be having an issue with it pulling up the software automatically if you loaded it

try finding the eos software on the start menu all programs list

or you should be able to just click on computer and see the camera set as one of the drives and double clicking on it will allow you to find your pictures and just copy them onto the computer by right clicking on them

I am available for a phone call and to remote into your computer to work on it with you and get it working the way you like or at least a reasonable way of doing it that you will be happy with.