My step-mother(76 years) upgraded from win 7 to win 10 and

Customer Question
Hi, My step-mother(76 years) upgraded from...
My step-mother(76 years) upgraded from win 7 to win 10 and now can't sign on. She did not create any recovery media. I have her computer with me now. She has a .msn email and a MS account. What can I do?
Thanks, KJ
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Computer
11/27/2015
Tech Support Specialist: Viet - Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist replied 1 year ago
Viet - Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist

I'm sorry about the issue. To confirm, her msn email address is showing at the computer's login screen right? And she is able to sign in her msn email address at the website www.live.com on another working computer (or tablet or smartphone) right?

Are the CAPS lock key and NUM lock key on or off on the keyboard?

Is her computer currently connected to the Internet? If yes, is it connected to the internet modem/router device with a cable? Or is the connection wireless?

Please reply at the box below. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
She can't log on to her computer. She only has the sign in screen. The block where you type in the password ***** ***** and when the password ***** ***** it responds with wrong password.

Thank you. Please shut down the computer, then turn it back on.

Does it show a name or username at the password ***** login screen?
Does it show an email address at the password ***** login screen? If yes, does she recognize that email address? If yes, does she have access to that email address?
Is it okay to reset the computer fresh, so you can re-set it up fresh, like brand-new, with a new password ***** want?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Just the log in screen.

I do live online support; I can help you here. Did you shut down / restart the computer yet?

Besides the password ***** what else does it show, if any?

Also, is there a power icon on the computer's screen that you can click on using the cursor? Please let me know. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Above the the log in box it says owner. Yes the power button is there as well as the wifi icon.

Is there any email address showing?

Does she remember her computer's login password?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I know the password. If we reset the computer will she loose data?

Maybe she accidentally changed the password ***** it prompted during the Windows 10 upgrade?

Yes, she will lose her data unless she has backup (i.e., to an external hard drive / USB drive, etc.)

What kind of data does she need? Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Lets go to voice. What's the number?

I'm sorry; I do live online support. I can provide written instructions here; we guarantee our service, so don't worry. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I do not want to wipe out her system. What next?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks.

I'm sorry. What data does she need? If she really needs the data, then you would have to take out the hard drive and connect it to another working computer with an external USB hard drive enclosure or adapter, then back up the data, then reset the computer. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
All of her files, settings, email...

I'm sorry; I don't have any other suggestion besides getting out the hard drive to back up data first, then reset the computer; I'm opening the issue to other experts.

Please do not wait; you will get an email when there is a response from another expert. Thank you.

Tech Support Specialist: IT Miro, Computer Scientist replied 1 year ago
IT Miro, Computer Scientist

Hello! My name is*****

I am willing to help you find another solution to regain access to the computer without losing the data. To confirm, you see only one user account at the logon screen, and it says "owner"?

Hello again!

Do you still require assistance with this issue?

Let me know,

Hello!

Let me know if you were able to receive my messages.

Andy, Computer Consultant