Randy Computer Tech
Randy Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Technician
62741268

I have lost my android. But I can still see it in use.

Customer Question

I have lost my android. But I can still see it in use. Unable to locate with Google device manager. Can I remotely install an app from google play to track it's whereabouts? If so is Android Lost my best option and if so will it download even if powered down?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Randy Computer Tech replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** certified professional with over 10 years experience. I will be glad to assist you with this. .
I am sorry to hear that happened.

Unfortunately the only apps that are helpful are the ones that are preinstalled(prior to losing). The apps like android lost can be sent to the device while it is powered on, however they have to be physically set up from the target phone, so they are not any help to you now. I am very sorry for the bad news, your only hope is to keep tracking with the android device manager and maybe someone will find it or use it so that the gps location will show on your map.

Please let me know if you need any other assistance.

Please take a moment to rate my service positively by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then click on submit.

Thank you very much!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The android lost app says you can remotely down load and view from their website as long as you log in with the Google acct that is used on the phone

yes, that app works the same as the android device manager. It relies on the same set up.

the android lost app will enable gps by contacting google, however it will only work when the phone is online.

https://www.androidlost.com/#faq

I have already lost my phone. Can I still register this app?

No, unfortunately you will have to install and register this app before you lose it.

You can install the app remotely from the Google play store but to register you will have to start the app and that can only be done on the phone.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do will the android lost locate the phone without registration on the target phone?? Or it has to be registered no matter what?

yes, it has to be registered. When it installs on the phone you have to open the app. You can go ahead and send it, if someone picks up the phone and taps on the app it will automatically register to the google account on the phone. The app icon is disguised as Phone Notes icon. It will appear on the home screen if someone uses the phone they may tap on the icon. If the phone is lost and no one finds it, the app will be of no help.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What will cause a phone to be listed as the CURRENT device? If I log in I can see the phone was synced and sometimes logged in. Just giving an approximate location. But when it lists it as CURRENT is that because I'm logged in on my google account that is linked to that device??

yes, that is giving the last know location and it is still registered on your google account.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok so I'm causing it to show up as a current device. Even though I am logged in from a different device??

what is the device you are using?

Is the lost phone showing as current on android device manager?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
On my kindle fire and on my iPhone. But I want to be sure I'm not the one causing it to come up. I use google device manager
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Anymore of this and I'm going to have to call you.

okay, this sounds like the google server may not be completely updated. Keep a check on it every hour or so as you can. If it comes online it will have the last known location.