Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

My T540P gets stuck at the ThinkPad screen and won't start

Customer Question

My T540P gets stuck at the ThinkPad screen and won't start Windows.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Mr.Med replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to justanswer, My name is ***** ***** i will be assisting you today,

I'm sorry about the issue, what is the version of your windows please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Windows 7
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I'm off the docking station, the machine will think the CTRL key is held down. I think this could be related to the start up issue. When this happens, all sorts of wacky things happen. I'm unable to type at all. Pages up and down for no apparent reason. Pages pop up as if I'm using a hot key. Could this be a defective keyboard?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you have the ability to remotely run diagnosistics?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you there?
Expert:  Mr.Med replied 1 year ago.

Please restart your computer and tap the F8 key repeatedly, select safe mode option then follow these steps :

click Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools program group. Click on the System Restore program icon. Click Next > on the Restore system files and settings window. Choose the restore point that you want to use. You should use the restore point with a date when you still don't have the problem you are facing now.

let me know the results please

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just so you know, I've already done this. I've run all the system tools, including bios.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It didn't help.
Expert:  Mr.Med replied 1 year ago.

so has everything worked out ?

Expert:  Mr.Med replied 1 year ago.

do you have windows 7 disc?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No,
did you see my last text
Expert:  Mr.Med replied 1 year ago.

are you able to access to the safe mode, did you tried my previous suggestion please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I do not. This is the machine I was assigned at my company but they have not been able or willing to help, which is why I'm willing to pay for change.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Mr.Med replied 1 year ago.

please try my previous solution and let me know the results

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you call me? As I mentioned, I've tried the restore option. It did not help.
Expert:  Mr.Med replied 1 year ago.

Put the windows 7 disc in your optical drive and restart to boot from the DVD. On the "Install Windows" screen, make the appropriate selections for language, time, and keyboard, and then click “Next”.

In the next screen, click “Repair Your Computer”. Do not click "Install now"

Select “Startup Repair” once the process finishs, restart your computer and check

let me know the results

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, I'm at System retore but there are only two dates available (because I've done this before, as I've previously stated). the problem was occurring at both of the available dates. What good would it do to restore to these dates?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have the Windows drive.
Expert:  Mr.Med replied 1 year ago.

Please choose the oldest date, you can also try this :

• Remove the battery and any other peripheral device connected to the computer.
  • Hold the power button for 10-15 seconds and then connect only the AC Adapter and try to turn ON the computer.

hope it work

thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Give me a couple of minutes.
Expert:  Mr.Med replied 1 year ago.

sure.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
System Restore to 11/3 is complete. Upon startup, I got stuck at the ThinkPad Screen again. I shut down. Removed battery, restarted using AC adapter. Stuck at ThinkPad. Restart on docking station (third try) worked.
Like I said, I've done all of your suggestions before. I was hoping you had more to offer. I will use my guarantee and not pay for these suggestions as they have not been helpful. I think I need to return the machine to Lenovo.