Richard, Computer Specialist
Experience:  Over 20 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

We have an e-mail account with MTS in Canada.Our security

Customer Question

We have an e-mail account with MTS in Canada.Our security stuff is through Microsoft.Here is my problem...The security system has our home phone number as the contact to change our password...we are not at home,we are in southern Texas for the winter.Can I use my cell phone number instead
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Hi there and welcome

Please do not shoot the messenger but no sorry. Due to Security reasons, you have to sign into your account in order to change this, it cannot be externally requested else it would be too easy to hack.

You can try to have someone be at home when you run the process, in order to do this, but until you sign in, you cannot change the information sorry, it is in your best interest as it offers the best security.

I would also advise when you get access to specify a secondary email account which you could also use instead, as this you could do now (as you can have access to the email account no matter where you are).

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Else if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
they force migrated our e-mail and we can receive e-mails, but we have no contacts therefore it's pretty hard to send e-mails
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
they told me to get hold of Microsoft
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you still there or not?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

I understand, what I meant with the secondary email account was to use it as a recovery method for your account.

But until you regain access to your account, you cannot change the details sorry, it is not possible due to security policies.

Else it would be too easy for people to gain access to your account.

MTS should have known this, and I know its a hassle but it cannot be changed sorry. It is not up to me, there is actually no facility for anyone but the account holder to do this.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

yes I am still here, please feel free to ask me for any additional information.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i can see this is a waste of time
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

ok, I am sorry you feel I have wasted your time... I can only answer the question correctly and hope you see what a security problem it would be if people could just request details of their accounts to be changed.

Its why it is always recommended to also have a recovery email address listed with the account so you can avoid this situation.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

If you have continued problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Thank you