Windows 10 crashed and I can't get into computer, I've

Customer Question
downloaded Ubuntu to access my...
Windows 10 crashed and I can't get into computer, I've downloaded Ubuntu to access my daily critical diabetes record files and wonder if this is a virus or a Windows 10 thing, I don't know what to do to get back to normal, I tried installing Windows 7 but 10 in the background wont let an earlier version be installed, 7 was great, 10 is a PITA
DENNIS
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Computer
10/22/2015
Tech Support Specialist: Dan, Computer Support Specialist replied 2 years ago
Dan, Computer Support Specialist

Hello and thank you for your question, I look forward to assisting you today. What make and model of computer are you using please?

Velocity Micro
681-02363
00148-122-095-894
Product key 4FCQP-YTQ49-9R9DF-2M48J-3G888
This is all info off computer tag, means nothing to me, hope it helps

Okay, thank you. This is most likely caused by Windows 10 and not a virus. First thing is to make sure you have a backup of your important data before go any farther. My next question is, do you have a Windows 7 installation CD, and how old is your computer?

I don't have a backup of the files on C drive, I do have my CD of Windows 7, I tried to install this after the crash but computer won't allow an older system to be installed over*****has only 4 files that are important, my and my wife's med files and grandson pics and dog pictures of those that are gone
I'm presently hard to reach due to recent hospital release of my wife to rehab, reason for any delay in my response + first time using a Mac that is a real PITA

There should be a system restore DVD that came with your computer. Do you have anything marked as such?

Got 8 disks including Windows Vista from 2008 when I bought computer, no restore disk
I do have Windows 7 install disk that was on system before 10

There are a couple of ways to do this. Can you boor into Windows 10 without any issues?

Ububtu comes up now (I had installed off net to allow me to access required daily diabetes record files on drive F), I probably would need to remove it to get back to Windows 10
I can't find drive C with Ubuntu, couldn't find Windows program files, drive C can be wiped if necessary, other info on D and F
Couldn't get a command line or access or do anything with Windows 10 when it went out to lunch

If you would like to try Windows 10 again, you might find you'll will like it once it is installed and working. If you would like to, go to this LINK. There you can download Windows 10. Once you do that you will need to burn it to a DVD. What you will download is what is called an iso file. You will need a specific program to burn the Windows file to your DVD. You can download that at this LINK. After Windows 10 is burned to the DVD, you will then use that disc to boot your computer from. Follow the on screen instructions for installation. Let me know if you run into problems. If you still would prefer Windows 7 you can reinstall it the same way. I'm available to assist regardless of what you dercide.

I downloaded the Win1o file with Ubuntu but file didn't automatically begin install and Ubuntu won't allow a run or start of any kind. I'm tempted to uninstall Ubuntu but hesitate to do that due to my record keeping requirements

My thinking now is, with the importance of the files you are trying to save, maybe you should consider purchasing a new hard drive and removing this one and using it for backup and storage? Drives are pretty cheap and you probably wouldn't go through as much hassle installing a new drive. If you want to go that route, let me know and we can proceed from there.

I downloaded the Windows 10 as you suggested and burned a CD, problem is that when I tried install off this disk a requirement for a 25 digit, I believe, number is ***** something that I don't have since original install was a freebie from MS on the net requiring me to spend $$ for something that I won't use, I don't like 10 from the word go!
Even their new Solitaire is a PITA to me
Got any suggestions?

Your Windows 7 key should work just fine. If not, I will give you instructions to contact Microsoft and they will give you a new key. As long as you have a legitimate copy of Windows 7 running, the Windows 10 upgrade is free.

Trying to install Win 10 from disk requires a 25 digit product key that I don't have and didn't receive from original 10 net install, Win 7 gets hung up since it requires a reboot and an old Ubuntu file starts so I can't go further with 7 install, I have manually removed Ubuntu but some errant files are still in there somewhere that I can't find without an OS, I have to boot from disk so I need that 25 digit number, how do I get it?
Sorry for delays but wife's medical problems interfere with everything I do

You should have a Microsoft sticker on your computer with the activation key on it. Check for that, and that should get you up and going. You should be able to install Windows 7 as a new install. That would partition and format the drive and remove any old files left behind by Ubuntu.

The tag is a Vista number, this isn't a new computer

About your only option then other than buying a retail Windows 7 key, is to contact Microsoft Support. If you registered your Windows 7, they should be able to provide you with a replacement key. If you can't get a replacement from MS, I may be able to provide you with access to purchase a key. I have done that in the past and it was very reasonable.

Again, I have the Win 7 disk but computer won't allow an install of a later Win version
Dan, Computer Support Specialist