What is version tracker agent and why can't I stop it or

Customer Question
should I allow it to...
What is version tracker agent and why can't I stop it or should I allow it to run?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Computer
10/14/2015
Tech Support Specialist: Dan, Computer Support Specialist replied 2 years ago
Dan, Computer Support Specialist

Hello and thank you for your question. I look forward to assisting you today. What type of computer please?

mac
I have a 2:10 PT to 3:15 PT (Malibu, California) appt and will not be available during that time so please call me either before that time or after. I anxiously await hearing from you. Thank you kindly.

Thank you for the response. Since this is a MAC I will need to turn this over to another expert. I apologize for the inconvenience.

Thank you - I would greatly appreciate your most expedient action as I have already paid in full.
BTW Dan, i could barely read what you wrote s it is extremely blurred.
Tech Support Specialist: Dustin, Computer Support Specialist replied 2 years ago
Dustin, Computer Support Specialist

Good afternoon. My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you.

I assume you should be returning from your appointment sometime soon. So I can assist you with resolving the problem that your mac is helping, I need you to answer a few questions first. Starting with, what version of mac osx are you running on your mac. You can check the version as follows.

Click the apple sign at the top left of your screen, then click about this mac. And then where it says version, send that to me as a reply.

Also, lets run this repair which wont outright fix the issue, but its a start.

Open your finder ( magnifying glass ) type in disk utility, and launch the disk utility application.

On the left side of the disk utility window, click your mac hd, then at the lower right hand side, click repair permissions .

Thank you, ***** ***** look forward to working with you on this issue.

Dustin S.

Dustin, my version info is frozen - anytime I click on the apple, it freezes - I have not been able to reboot either as I can not shut this down either in chrome or safari. what next?.
btw, your original email to me went into my spam file which only notifies me once/day ;-( so I will continue to check this page for your desperately needed reply. thank you..

Hi.. We may need to do some repairs before we can find out the version,which is important as it will determine further repairs we will do.

So first , lets shut your mac down. And then start it in safe mode. To start it in safe mode, hold down th eleft shift key on the keyboard, and keep holding it while you press power.

After the startup chime you can let go of the shift key.

It should start in safe mode. Then, try this repair.

done - now says repair disk complete. what next. I appreciate you ;-)

Thank you.. Ive just seen your message.

If the disk repair finished.. Did you also run a permissions repair. or just a disk repair?

The button to start either is on the same disk utility, first aid page. Which one did we run?

Does this mean it is fixed and I can move on?
sorry, didn't see ur reply so forget what i just wrote.
I clicked Disk Repairs Permission I think, as you had written above.
Can I go back and check it?

You sure can.. And theres no harm in running the repair twice. To be certain we ran permissions repair, and not just disk repair.

Please do as follows.

ok, will do now.

Sorry to be a stickler. repair disk, and repair permissions do two completely different repairs. Just want to make sure we run t he repair permissions.. As thats going to help with the issues.

Once your done.. Let me know! Thank you,

Dustin S.

Permission Repair Complete ;-)

Excellent.

Can we check the version number now or does it still lock up?

Mac OS X version 10.6.8

We couldnt get that far before or even see the version info. So thats progress..

Were in safe mode currently, can you shut the mac down and start it normally without holding the shift key. And then check and see if we can still access the apple symbol, and also your finder ( magnifying glass )

Yup, it all worked. no mag. glass but searches available with magnifying glass - is that ok? we have come really far.

Sounds good so far. But Id like to run a few more repairs if you dont mind, just to be sure all is working well.

For good measure lets reset the pram.

Shut down your Mac.
Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Option, Command (⌘), P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
Turn on your Mac.
Immediately press and hold the Option-Command-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.

Continue holding the keys down until your Mac restarts, and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
Release the keys.

Once your mac starts, lets try one more repair just to be thorough.

Download and install the free mac antivirus from Avast.

https://www.avast.com/free-mac-security

The days of mac viruses being rare are long past. You probably do not have a virus. But considering the program is free, theres no downside to downloading, installing it, and having it run a scan. And that will help ensure that your machine is running smoothly and safely.

If you encounter further issues, or if any problems pop up or remain, you are welcome to reply to this same conversation and I will continue to assist you until those issues are resolved.

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a rating of excellent ( 5 stars ) selected and submitted below this answer or at the top right of the screen. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.

meant no searchlight not no mag glass -- search boxes were available with little mag. glass.

Under stood. Id still like to proceed with the repairs below.

For good measure lets reset the pram.

Shut down your Mac.
Turn on your Mac.

Release the keys.

https://www.avast.com/free-mac-security

Dustin S.

I scanned as you suggested and have 14 infections, plus they were unable to scan 327 - they gave me the option to delete, should I do this?

Apologies for the delay .. My shift ended some time ago, so Ive just now had a chance to check my messages before I turn in for the night.

Yes, absolutely delete those infections.. And im glad it found them, lets us know were moving down the right track..

After they are removed ( and when you have time ) Run the permissions repair again and reboot the mac.

We can pick this back up tommorow and work on the finishing up.

Dustin S.

Thank you so much for all your wisdom and energy today - I will do the things you suggested and get back to you tomorrow. Thanks also for responding to me tonight. Sweet Dreams!
Good morning. I ran & received notification "Permissions Repair Complete" and for some reason, ran it on the Option-CommandP-R keys, though my computer had started up with no problem. I did have a problem from Avast wherein they uninstalled at 8 ish last night. They left me a big brown boxed message this morning that sounded like a serious virus. When I clicked on it to copy to send to you, it disappeared. Also I was asked to agree to sign into my pop.averi and they did say it couldn't be confirmed and might be a phish though that warning is not unusual - aren't you happy to see me this morning? What is next? Let me know if you think talking will expedite this? Thank you.
I just rebooted and that worked fine. I now need to know what to do.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Dustin, how do I get to you - have a busy day and need to use computer - I am at work. Thank you -- and yes I will give you 5 stars and a shout out on all my social media, many thousands connected to me. SOS puleeeez :-)
I just reinstalled avast but do not know how to run it. do I need to do this in the safe mode?
I am going to reset the pram so my computer is not avail to me for this short period. Please call me at(###) ###-####- I will pay whatever the cost is with Paypal.
Back from doing the above - could not open link to start scan. I really need your help.

My apologies for the delay in getting back to you. Ive just started my work shift for today.

I do think that speaking would help. More so, a screen sharing connection where I can connect to your mac from here, so you can I can both see whats happening.. And also, so I can make any needed repairs or changes in real time on the screen in front of you.

I know you said you had a busy day and I hope its winding down. I will look forward to your reply when you have some free time, so we can decide how we want to proceed. Thank you,

Dustin S.

Hi - so glad to see you. My phone # *****(###) ###-####or what # ***** I cancall you on? I can be available at 2:30 PT - can that work for you. If we need to scan which took 1 hr 45 minutes, I would do that after 5 tonight and we could talk tomorrow. I am still in the safe mode. How do we connect at 2:30 if you are available? Running out now with my dog but connecting w/you @ 2:30.

Since Avast did say it found something before.. I agree with you t hat we should probably scan again first. Dont worry about removing what the scan found, as when you and I do connect. I can just check the log and we can go t hrough the removal process together.

So maybe when you get back in, before you go to bed or when theres going to be a 2 hour block of time you dont need to use the computer. Go ahead and start the scan. And we can discuss when a good time would be for you and I to reconnect, and work on this together.

I hope you enjoy your walk,

Dustin S.

When I was at Avast a few minutes ago they did say basically "All Clear" but that note this morning was confusing. I do want to rerun scan and will do so at 5 tonight - however, let's talk tomorrow. What time do you get in? I will make myself available.Also, want to use my cell phone(###) ###-####so my hands will be free to type. What time tomorrow works for you and will you be calling me on my cell?
to get out of the safe start up, do I just boot it up now -or can I stay here till after the scan??

I believe you mentioned youre on the Pacific time zone, Im on east coast so that will make it a bit easier for us to get started.

Anytime after 10 am your time works for me.. Until about 6 pm your time.

You can stay in safe mode as long as you want.. Theres no real harm in doing so. But ideally, after the scan you would reboot the mac and let it start normally, just so we can verify what problems remain in normal startup.

D.S

OK, thanks, ***** *****:00 PM my time is great for me, you? ...and do I call you or you, me?
Hello??

hey~

1 pm sounds great.. if you could, send a message to me here to alert me you are ready to go. Thank you,

Dustin S.

OK, will do ;-)
Hey! I am here. Ran the Avast and got a clean bill of health. However, their name is ***** ***** name needs to be to open my email. My pop.Averi.pop or .com needs to go back into that spot. I need help with that.
What happened to you? Are you ok?
Tech Support Specialist: Jins M. N., Computer Support Specialist replied 2 years ago
Jins M. N.
Jins M. N., Computer Support Specialist

Hello Sir/Madam. Thank you very much for giving us an opportunity to help you. I am Jins here to assist you. Please remember these things when we deal with your issue. It may take more than one step/answer to solve a problem. So If my answers don’t work or if you are not satisfied, please don’t Rate my answer as Bad or Poor Service, but please Reply back to me by clicking the “Continue Conversation” or “Reply” button and I will gladly continue to help. Remember, only Rate answer after you are 100% Satisfied. Please do not rate an answer, if you are not satisfied.

Can I remotely connect to your system and check the problem ? You can see what I am doing. If interested, please accept my remote support offer and let me know your time zone and the time period you prefer for remote support.

Regards
Jins

Hello, this is Dustin again and my apologies for the delay in getting back to you.. Theres seems to have been some issue with our messaging & alert system over the weekend.. As I never seen your replies hit my inbox.

Glad to hear Avast found and removed everything.. Last I read it was just the issue with your mail account we needed to work on, correct?

When you can please message and let me know where the issues currently stand so we can work on whats left.

Thank you,

Dustin S.

When I tried to empty my trash, the version tracker agent reappeared. Other than that, things were moving along nicely.

HI. working the late shift tonight. So hopefully we can connect and finish the repair process.

When you are ready to connect, please download and install the free TeamViewer program so that we can connect.

https://www.teamviewer.com/en/download/mac.aspx

Once downloaded and installed. Send a reply and let me know youre ready to connect. Thank you,

Dustin S.

I rated you "Excellent Service" and do appreciate your help. You were terrific when you appeared. Everything seems to be working fine for now. I would have answered you sooner but was out of town. I do want you to know though that I was very disappointed with the confusion over our scheduling as my waiting time cost me money as I had to put my client work on hold while waiting for you. You are however a terrific technician. Please confirm receipt. Thank you.
Dustin, Computer Support Specialist