Richard, Computer Specialist
Experience:  Over 20 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

Do Tech Support call my home and say that I have virus on my

Customer Question

Do Tech Support call my home and say that I have virus on my computer? They want to get access to my computer to correct the problem.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Hi there and welcome

This is a very common scam that has been occurring for a number of years now. They are usually calls from out of India, and they claim you either have a virus or they have been notified that your computer has errors (none of which is true).

They then try to gain access and will show you fake information to make you further believe you have problems.

Then they indicate it will cost x amount of $ in order to fix this.

As you become worried due to the fake reports, you generally pay. Then they start to make additional charges on your credit card.

Additionally they will take information from your computer to be used for further hacking attacks.

This is all a scam and easy to avoid, just do not give them any banking or credit card information

If you did, contact your financial institution and explain what happened and they will take the correct action to stop any fraud.

In addition do not let them on your computer or install any programs they asked you to, if you did, please let me know.

Your best to tell them on these calls you are well aware of this scam and your number is ***** not so easily passed onto different groups who try other fraudulent tactics

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Andif you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you