I recently upgraded to 10 and last few days I cannot turn it

Customer Question
I recently upgraded to 10...
I recently upgraded to 10 and for the last few days I cannot turn it off the conventional way or ask what's her name for help
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Computer
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/6/2015
Tech Support Specialist: Richard, Computer Specialist replied 2 years ago
Richard, Computer Specialist

Hi there and welcome

When you try to turn it off the conventional way, what exactly happens and stops you from doing this?

Thank you

I get no response when I hit the start icon at the bottom left of the screen. I when I ask the attendant for anything I get no response.

Thank you

Can you do the following please

Press the windows key + X and click on command prompt (admin)

A black window opens.

Type in it

sfc /scannow

press enter and when it has completed, type in

chkdsk /r

Press enter.

It will give a message "the type of the file system is NTFS cannot lock current drive.

chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts y/n" Say Y, press enter and restart the computer.

Please note, while this normally only takes 10 minutes to run, it can take at times number of hours if windows encounters many issues. If this is occurring it is critical to let this complete as it means you have corruption on the hard drive that it needs to fix. Even if it looks like the scan is not progressing, it is, please just let it run to completion. Windows will then start when it has.

Then check if it now functions.

I can also do these steps for you, and have made a request via Additional Services. This is optional, and if you choose to do this, I can, with your permission, remote into your computer while you watch and do all these steps (and deal with any problems that arise during them) for you. Or if you do not choose to take this service, we can continue here. This is no problem at all. Just let me know please.

Else let me know the results please.

It said I didn't have access to go further

ok, you missed a step, you need to Press the windows key + X and click on command prompt (admin)

You did not choose Admin

Please let me know

Ok, got it right that time and it scanned the puter. I shut it down and restarted it and no change

You ran both instructions in 15 minutes? That would not be possible..... Are you sure you did all the instructions I listed as just one of the steps takes 10 minutes at least to complete.

I did and the scan took the longest and found nothing wrong. I answered yes to the last question and no change

ok, normally would take a much longer time, but can you do the following please

1. Press ctrl+alt+delete on your keyboard
  2. Click on "TASK MANAGER"
  3. On top left, click on "FILE"
  4. Click on "RUN NEW TASK"
  5. Check the box "Create this task with ..."
  6. Type in MSCONFIG
  7. Click OK
  8. Click on BOOT
  9. ON the bottom on the BOOT MENU, check "safe boot" and select "network"
  10. Click "Apply" then "OK"
  11. Restart your computer
  12. When it is rebooted and you get on the safe mode desktop, press ctrl+alt+del again
  13. type MSCONFIG again
  14. In BOOT menu uncheck safe mode
  15. Apply, OK and reboot

Tell me if it then functions please

Ho dice, same problems

when did the issue start?

2 days ago, I upgraded about a week ago.
Was running Windows 7 before

Thanks

Can you press the windows key + X and click on Control Panel.

Click on System and Security, then System

Then click System Protection

Then click on System Restore and choose a restore point from before this problem occurred.

Let this complete and when it has, tell me please if you still have the issue.

Thank you

it's up

whats up sorry? The menu is now working?

The pop up menu that access all the prgrams as well as shut down options won't pop up.
I'm about ready to go back to windows 7.

Sorry I am not following you here.

I gave a set of instructions to do a system restore, and you replied "yes its up?

And then this

Did you do the system restore as I asked?

No I couldn't find sys I found it but I have no recent system restore pointtem protection
I found it but I have no System Restore
From control panel? Yes I found it but the restore button in not light up. There must not be any restore points since Ii change to Windows 10

When you see the system restore button you need to wait a minute till it is enabled, it will enable and if there are no points it will tell you this but still allow you to click it.

Nothing yet after several minutes

ok, this is also part of the problem.

Can you do the following

1. In the search box on the taskbar, type settings and select Settings.

2. Select Accounts > Other user accounts.

3. Under Manage other accounts, select Add an account.

4. At the bottom of the page, select Sign in without a Microsoft account.

5. Select Local account.

6. Enter a name for the new account. If you want this person to sign in with a password, enter and verify the password, add a password ***** and then select Next.

7. Select Finish.

Then restart the computer, sign into this new account and tell me if in this new account you also have the problem please.

I can't bring up the search box on the taskbar because I can't bring anything up off the taskbar
When I hit the start button at the bottom of the taskbar nothing comes up

ok, do it this way, press the windows key + X and click control panel instead

Then there type in the search Accounts and you can complete the instructions

Ok, it says I signed in with a temporary account and I'm able to use the popup On the taskbar

ok, then the issue is with the account, that has become corrupted.

Your only recourse is to use this current account that you are now signed in, from now on, as the previous one is not repairable (we went though all the options).

But you can continue to use this new one in the same manner.

None of my saved savings are set anywhere None of my email

you would need to add these again, so add your email account and redo your settings that you had for your previous profile.

I'm going back to Windows 7
This is the second time I've tried windows 10 and had a similar problem both times

ok, to be honest, it is generally pretty good, and it may indicate issues in windows 7 already there as its only upgrading not reinstalling.

You may want to consider doing a clean installation of windows 7 (so reinstall windows) then do the windows 10 upgrade, it is going to run a lot better.

If you want to do this, I can assist you with this?

Richard, Computer Specialist