Jins M. N.
Jins M. N., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Qualified Computer Professional - 12+ years experience. Expert in Computer Hardware & Graphic Design
50064670

Why is Ubuntu 15.04 hanging on the who are you screen?

Customer Question

Category: Computer
Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 1 year ago.

Hello Sir/Madam. Thank you very much for giving us an opportunity to help you. I am Jins here to assist you. Please remember these things when we deal with your issue. It may take more than one step/answer to solve a problem. So If my answers don’t work or if you are not satisfied, please don’t Rate my answer as Bad or Poor Service, but please Reply back to me by clicking the “Continue Conversation” or “Reply” button and I will gladly continue to help. Remember, only Rate answer after you are 100% Satisfied. Please do not rate an answer, if you are not satisfied.

I think you are on Ubuntu installation screen that asks user profile details. If so make sure, you have the green checks next to Your Name, Your Computer Name, and Confirm your password.

Make sure your username is ***** ***** The username field only accepts ones that are ONLY lowercase.

Regards
Jins

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All of the fields on the screen have green checks next to them. I set up the partition on dev/sda so that it will be alongside windows 10. The partition I'm using (or trying to use) for ubuntu is partition 3 (~730GB) ext4 mounted at / with a swap space (partition 4 ~15GB). I select the time zone, enter the information (name, computer name, username, password, require password & encrypt home folder) and then click continue. The mouse button is replaced with the spinning wheel like normal but then it goes nowhere. I left it to sit overnight last night because I thought that maybe the delay was it trying to format the newly created partition however after working for 9 hours, it was still on that screen. I re-downloaded the .iso file and burnt it to the DVD again and tried again and the same issue is occurring today. Any ideas?
Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 1 year ago.

Please try without encryption of home folder. As per the size of encrypting folder/drive it will take more time. So please try without encryption and check the result.

Regards

Jins

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The result is the same. It just spins and sits there.
Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 1 year ago.

After you clicking the Forward / Next button the wheel spins ? or can't you click on the Forward button because it is greyed out ?

Regards

Jins

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I click the continue button and the 'wheel' spins. Then the buttons become greyed out
Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 1 year ago.

Is it an AMD system or INTEL ? anyway, please disable swap and try again.

Regardss

Jins

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is an intel i7. What does disabling swap do?
Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 1 year ago.

A swappiness setting of zero means that the disk will be avoided unless absolutely necessary (you run out of memory), while a swappiness setting of 100 means that programs will be swapped to disk almost instantly. Please disable and check, there is a reported bug on ubuntu which makes conflicts with swap and extended partitions.

Regards

Jins

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't set the swappiness in the installer. I can only create the swap partition. Should I just delete the swap partition entirely?
Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 1 year ago.

Delete the swap partition you created entirely and go with system default settings.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Deleting the swap partition didn't work either. I know that the hardware can handle Ubuntu as I have installed it on this computer before.