Cody
Cody, Senior Systems Administrator
Experience:  Systems Administrator
58973002

My computer notebook computer recently crashed. Is there a

Customer Question

My computer notebook computer recently crashed. Is there a way to save data from it before I try to reload windows again?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Cody replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today.

You would need a blank CD and a working PC that you can use to burn the CD. Then you can boot from that CD and access the hard drive (if the hard drive is still working correctly) and save any files you need to a flash drive.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, it doesnt have a CD drive, will usb work the same? WHat exactly am I burning? Windows 7 again?
Expert:  Cody replied 1 year ago.

I have mixed results when trying to boot from a flash drive. But theory is, yes you can boot from a flash drive.

Not Windows 7, you would be booting from a PE program where you can access the hard drive.

Expert:  Cody replied 1 year ago.

Download the below program, I'm uploading the PE iso now to Dropbox will send it to you once that is done.

ISO to USB https://www.dropbox.com/s/auihpgcnbyr5ij8/isotousb_setup.exe?dl=0

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I turn on the computer it states :"Your PC needs to be repaired
The boot configuration data file is missing some required information.You will need to use recovery tools on your installation media.
Expert:  Cody replied 1 year ago.

Sounds like a reinstall would be the best step to take, what's the brand of the device? There maybe a recovery partition to boot into.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Toshiba satellite E45t-A4300
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ultrbook
Expert:  Cody replied 1 year ago.

Here is the link for the PE download https://www.dropbox.com/s/fmd2m0i2gg2j0hp/Win7PE_x64.ISO?dl=0 that you'll need to burn to a CD. Once files are recovered below is how to restore it to factory default.

Note: the below will wipe everything, you need to recover files before you do the below steps.

To reset a Toshiba laptop to factory settings from the hidden partition, press on the zero key when turning on the laptop computer.

Expert:  Cody replied 1 year ago.

Expert:  Cody replied 1 year ago.

Checking in to see if you still need help with this issue, if so please reply at your convenience.