John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ Years in the computer industry
60674955

I have a 6 year old Mac Mini. On booting up everything works

Customer Question

I have a 6 year old Mac Mini. On booting up everything works normally. But after 7 to 10 minutes many of the normal functions such as opening files when the cursor is clicked stop working including "shut down". If restarted everything returns to normal, again for only 7 minutes or so. Apple says it's a drive problem. They also say that data could likely be transferred to a new drive but apps such as Adobe Illustrator could not. My question: is their any alternative to replacing the drive?
Category: Computer
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.

has Apple physically inspected the Mac mini?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes. Meanwhile, I am using the computer and will soon have to restart to continue our conversation.

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.

Can you tell me the exact version of OS X you are currently running, please?

Click the Apple logo in the menu bar at the top left of the screen

Select "About This Mac"

In the window that opens, look for the "Version" information. Please let me know what it says.

Thanks,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Version 10.6.8

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.

Thanks,

do you have your OS X 10.6 install disc for troubleshooting purposes?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK. I'm back. Unfortunately I don't have the disc.

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.

Ok, sadly this will be a bit tedious;

Please try the following. If you have any questions, just let me know.

1) Restart your Mac and hold the COMMAND and S keys together as soon as you hear the the start up chime. When the screen goes black and you start seeing text appear on screen, let go of the keys.

2) After a short period of time you will land at a command prompt (:/root#). At the command-line prompt, type:

/sbin/fsck -fy

and press Return.

- - -

“fsck” is a file system checker. It will run through a battery of tests, looking at different aspects of your file system.

When it's done, it will normally produce one of two messages

a) "The volume (name of your hard drive) appears to be OK

If it states the above, then your drive is fine and you can simply type "reboot" at the prompt and press Return to restart your Mac and boot back to the Desktop.

b) If fsck found any errors, it may have tried to correct them and will display this message: --FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED--

If this message appears, repeat the fsck command you typed at the beginning:

/sbin/fsck -fy

and Press Return.

Keep repeating this until it reports your drive is OK.

If by some reason you need to do the above more than 5 times, this indicates a more serious issue. If this is the case please let know the error messages reported.

However, assuming everything goes okay, type 'reboot' at the prompt and then press Return.

Once it has finished restarting you should be back at the desktop. Does the Mac perform any differently?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** will definitely try this and get back to you with results. It may not happen before the end of the day. Is there a way to reach you specifically if can't finish this today?

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.

Yes, indeed, just bookmark the following link to return to our conversation.

http://www.justanswer.com/computer/9c550-year-old-mac-mini-booting-everything-works.html

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello, John.

I followed the instructions you sent and got a detailed report which included the following statements: "The volume Macintoch HK was repaired successfully." Also "THE FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED***"

Unfortunately, however, nothing changed. The Mac is still doing the same thing. I repeated the process several times getting the same response but no change to the problem. Is there anything else we can try?

Keep in mind as we're talking that the Mini only functions for several minutes before I have to force quit and restart.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Do you have an email address? I took a cellphone picture of the reply to the series of steps you gave me and I can forward the picture to you if that would help.